Please help me solve 2 cub problems

/ Please help me solve 2 cub problems #1  

Rooster7

Tractor
IH 240 Utility
I have a 2004 Cub Cadet 2186. One day the headlights/dash/dummy lights all quit working. I changed the fuses and still nothing.

Last winter I had the blower on it and when I would go to start it, the blower would turn with out the PTO swich being pulled out. Now I have the deck on and the clutch stays engaged. I replaced the PTO switch. That didn't work. I unplugged the clutch and it still stays engaged. When I turn the key, the starter has to turn the blades and everything due to this problem. It is also dangerous to have the blades engaged all the time.

Any advice on how to fix these issues would be appreciated.

Rooster

/ Please help me solve 2 cub problems #2  
sounds like some serious elect probs...

PTO:
disconnect elect lead at connection closest to PTO clutch under frame. Start engine, mower blades should not turn/run. If they do, look for trouble either in clutch itself (bearings, etc) or belt routing/tension.
If blades don't turn, then look for PTO wiring harness damages, PTO dash switch defective or possible circuit relay malfunctions.

Re - headlights -still out ?
then, look closely at condition of wiring going to headlights - easy for one to droop down too close to exhaust or short out right at bulb connection

/ Please help me solve 2 cub problems #3  
Your bearing is out on your PTO clutch.

/ Please help me solve 2 cub problems #4  
Go through all of your connections and clean things up thoroughly.. Ign. switch, PTO switch etc..

/ Please help me solve 2 cub problems
I did unplug the clutch and the blades still turn. I think it must be the clutch bearing.

/ Please help me solve 2 cub problems #6  
It may not be the bearing. The PTO clutch is supposed to have some clearance between the disk and steel plates. I forget, something in the range of .015 thousandths. But, if it was too tight and no clearance, that could do it, plus if you washed it and set it up all winter, the clutch disk and steel plates could stick together, and will have to be jarred or pryed loose. I would try this first.

/ Please help me solve 2 cub problems #7  
the older machines/PTO's can be gap adjusted... but not all the newer ones. Entry level machines today usually are equipped with non-adjustable types.
About the same deal with replacing brgs within the PTO :(

/ Please help me solve 2 cub problems #8  
Your PTO bit the dust. That is what happened when it went on my 2518.

Michael

/ Please help me solve 2 cub problems
I ordered a new electric clutch. Hope this does the trick!

Any advice on getting the bolt off the clutch when it just turns the crank? How can I hold the crank?

/ Please help me solve 2 cub problems #10  
The service manual says use a impact wrench or remove the top engine cover and use a flywheel holding tool. A impact has always done it for me. The old clutch may be stuck on the shaft and require you to use a puller to get it off. If you use a puller make sure you only grab on to the PTO pulley and not the drive belt pulley above it. When you reassemble use some anti-seize compound on the shaft and if you ever have to take it off again it will just slide right off.