2 Questions

/ 2 Questions #1  

Pops Posse

Probably a dumb question, but I have always heard not to wash the mower deck because of rust issues. I do use the deck washing fitting and like it so far, but what do people do about the top of the deck and, for that matter, the rest of the tractor? Do you hose it down or just blow it off?

My other question deals with deck height. The owners manual states: Place the deck lift lever in the desired mowing height setting.
Reinsert the shoulder screw (with each gauge wheel) into the index hole that leaves approximately 1⁄2-inch between the bottom of the wheel and the pavement.

When I do that, the height between the pavement and the gauge wheels are a lot more than 1/2" and the wheels are in the lowest position. When I mow, the grass is cut at a nice height and the gauge wheels lightly make contact. Is this normal

Thank you
Mike 2010 Cub Cadet LTX1046VT

/ 2 Questions #2  
I don't see a problem with washing off the mower deck. Certainly better than leaving it covered with debris.
Best to not leave water sitting on it in any spots, so maybe use your leaf blower or air compressor to dry it off.
Be cautious if using a pressure washer that you don't direct high pressure water at the grease nipples or sealed areas.
RB

/ 2 Questions #3  
Good hosing shouldn't hurt anything,seen dealer do so after servicing..also good time for inspection.

/ 2 Questions #4  
Original Poster -
Pay attention to what yer manual tells you about washing/not washing. Yeah, you can use the designed-in deck wash system per the manual to help keep the underside clean out.... As long as you make sure deck underside is dry before putting tractor away.

Do NOT reccomend aiming a garden hose at deck or machine to wash. Too much chance for water in spindle brgs or corrosion on some/all the elect connection points (causing fits later on).
For keeping machine clean, a good blowoff with compressed air or a leaf blower followed by a lite wipedown of the body exterior with a damp rag will do you well. Make sure to blow off trash on top of hydro tranny. And, stay away from a pressure washer!!

/ 2 Questions #5  
its my leaf blowers sole purpose, to blow off the tractor.