Torn between Cub Cadet LTX 1050kw and GT 2550??

/ Torn between Cub Cadet LTX 1050kw and GT 2550?? #1  

Bulverde

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 4500
Hello All,

First I appreciate the advice and information on this site. I am in the market for a new mower and am torn between the CC LTX 1050kw and the CC GT 2550. I am mowing around 2 acres of bermuda and some field grass. In the front, we have a steep hill up and down the driveway and a steep side slope across the front.

1050 - I like the cost, turning radius, Kawasaki engine and what appears to be a lower center of gravity.

2550 - The weight of this mower is 240lbs heavier so may be better for traction on the hills but what about side slopes with the higher seat position?

Is the Kawasaki engine good? I also cannot see where the deck can be levelved from side to side on the 1050.

Any thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks!

/ Torn between Cub Cadet LTX 1050kw and GT 2550?? #2  
Kawasaki is a great engine, but overall machine quality is more important IMO. If you've got lots of slopes and rough mowing, I'd suggest paying the extra $ for the 2550. They've got a very strong and reliable shaft driven transaxle and a hydrostatic drive system that won't overheat. The transaxle on them hold 6qts of oil as opposed to the ~3qts in the 1050.

Joel

/ Torn between Cub Cadet LTX 1050kw and GT 2550?? #3  
Sounds like your lawn is like mine ay least the slope part. I agree with Joel. I think the 2550 will better serve your needs. The 2500 series is Heavy Duty and the traction is unsurpassed. I have ag tires on mine but before I switched to them the turf tires did a great job.
My father in law has a Kawasaki engine in his Ventrac and IMO is just as good as Kohler.
The higher seat position just takes some getting used to.

Michael

/ Torn between Cub Cadet LTX 1050kw and GT 2550?? #4  
Our 2550 has 120 hrs on it...its had minor issues but I'd get another one if I needed to get another GT.

At first we did have a problem on a side slope with the PTO cutting off. It's natural for your body to assume a level position while on a slope and NOT to sit perfectly square on the seat. That means sliding your weight over...you'll figure the work around for that.:thumbsup:

Between the 2 I think you'll be happier you got the 2550. and if you don't believe in chains just operate at reduced tire pressure and the slopes shouldn't be a problem.

/ Torn between Cub Cadet LTX 1050kw and GT 2550?? #5  
I have a GT 2554 with 100 hrs on it, It's a great machine. You might think about the 54" deck is better build and thicker gage steel not to mention less time to mow.

/ Torn between Cub Cadet LTX 1050kw and GT 2550?? #6  
ill never get another lt. gt all the way.

/ Torn between Cub Cadet LTX 1050kw and GT 2550?? #8  
I too would go with the 2500 series I have a 04 2523-54 (2554) it now has over 400 hours on it . I mow 2 acres in all with hills and a rough side yard ( 1 acre) and my yard also 1 acre with no problems. I have replaced the battery for the first time this spring as well as the pto belt. I think you would go through 2 or 3 Lt's before wearing the 2500 series tractor out . Just somthing to think about when the price comes to mind :)

/ Torn between Cub Cadet LTX 1050kw and GT 2550??
Thanks to all. Great advise on quality vs. cost.

/ Torn between Cub Cadet LTX 1050kw and GT 2550?? #10  
I do perfer the 50" deck for cut quality in the cub line-up.
Having a 2554 that I'm mowing with now coming from the lt 1050 the ground speed is nicer with the larger unit. The 50" deck will cut clean faster then the 2550 will go!