Tractor
    Cub LT1045

Default Free wheeling spindle LT1045

I noticed the grass was not being cut as I expected it to be. I found the spindle on the right side to be spinning around without moving the blade down below. I can find no way to connect the spindle to the blade shaft. Is there any way to easily do this as I am not very mechanically inclined but do know how to use a screwdriver.
    I've had the Cub for about 3 yrs, had the usual belt throwing issues, but overall it's been a good machine. I have nearly 3 acres to mow, level land, formerly pasture land. I know the 1045 is considered too light for 3 acres but I only mow 1 acre at a time so I fool the Cub into thinking I have only 1 acre.
    Anyhow, can anyone tell me how to connect the spindle to the blade drive shaft? I appreciate any help I can get.
    Allen Weizer-Patriot

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Cub Cadet 1811 \and a cub cadet 149

Default Re: Free wheeling spindle LT1045

I am not familiar with your particular model, but is the nut tight that holds the blade on? Or is there a keyway in there somewhere that could be broken? Or possibly the shaft could be broken maybe? keep us posted

The LT1045 has two different spindle setups depending on the year built. If you have the round hole blades the nut that holds the blade on tightens the whole assembly. If you have the star hole blades the nut on top the pulley tightens the pulley to the shaft. Both setups require them to be torqued to70-90 ft lbs.
    2006 Cub Cadet Z-Force50
    Agco Allis 1616H
    1974 SearsGT18 with 3 point,48"deck,Haban sickle mower and front dozer blade

2000 Bobcat 453F with steel tracks
    1954 Ford860 with front end loader, 5' brushhog
    1952 Allis Chalmers CA with Woods L59 mower
    1947 Case SC
    1998 Honda ACTY 4WD mini truck
    And too many other small engine tools to list

Platinum Member

OP - look in the area under your tilting seat - get model #/serial # - go to this webpage: PDF Manual Web Archive - find/download parts manual. In it you will find a breakdown of the parts for a spindle assembly which should help you to determine what is loose on yours. The driven spindle pulley could be loose or as Don said - the blade retaining nut underneath may be loose. Follow Old Machinist's info, too

Tractor
    Kubota MX5000

Quote Originally Posted by OldMachinist View Post
    The LT1045 has two different spindle setups depending on the year built. If you have the round hole blades the nut that holds the blade on tightens the whole assembly. If you have the star hole blades the nut on top the pulley tightens the pulley to the shaft. Both setups require them to be torqued to70-90 ft lbs.
    You may have the same problem I had with my LT1045. I have the Star hole blades. I found that the nut was loose and the spindle the blade mounts on was shot. The "stars" had been wore down and the whole thing (spindle/pully assembly)had to be replaced.
    I hope you have better luck with your than I have mine.