Why no Cub Luv?

/ Why no Cub Luv?
Wow. Some varying opinions for sure.

Thanks to those that posted.

I definitely understand that things have changed over time as far as quality is concerned.

Now more confused than ever...lol

So then, i understand that this is the cub forum, but i wonder, "Whats the best value / heaviest built machine in a sub 6k Garden tractor?"

/ Why no Cub Luv? #12  
Wow. Some varying opinions for sure.

Thanks to those that posted.

I definitely understand that things have changed over time as far as quality is concerned.

Now more confused than ever...lol

So then, i understand that this is the cub forum, but i wonder, "Whats the best value / heaviest built machine in a sub 6k Garden tractor?"

I'm fascinated with the Ingersoll tractors, though I've never owned one. They maintain that "overbuilt" status that Cub once had. They're virtually identical to their early Case models... 40 year of tractors and attachments out there.

/ Why no Cub Luv? #13  

You can get a new shaft driven everything Cub 3100 for ~$5200 or a 3200 with aux hydraulics, power steering and diff lock for ~$6200. Your choice of cutting decks are extra. I'd hold off for a couple year old used one for half the price though. IMO, having owned one, the most bang for your buck is a Cub 2544 or 2550 for around $4K. Here's the 3100:

14B-671-710_3100_Rpf_shd2.jpg

Joel

/ Why no Cub Luv? #14  
I'm fascinated with the Ingersoll tractors, though I've never owned one. They maintain that "overbuilt" status that Cub once had. They're virtually identical to their early Case models... 40 year of tractors and attachments out there.

They're very cool. I've got a Case 220 that I use as a yard horse. Thing is, once you get used to foot controlled hydrostatic for mowing service, you'll hate the 'column shift' speed and direction control on the Case/Ingersolls. HyDrive takes some getting used to over hydrostatic drive. Case/Ingersoll guys get all bunched up over this, but Hydrive isn't all smooth and dummie proof like hydrostatic is. Here's my 220 (freshly rebuilt J40 deck not on it):

002-4.jpg

Joel

/ Why no Cub Luv? #15  
Another consideration is that a zero turn is just faster at cutting grass in an obstacle filled yard than a garden tractor. If I had a choice between a new IH Cub 1650 (if IH was still around) and a zero turn of any quality for cutting grass, I'd pick the zero turn.

/ Why no Cub Luv? #16  
I to had a Craftsman 18hp tractor that after about 15 yrs the transmission just gave out. I spent about 4 months researching the various models and decided on a GT2554. Shaft drive, Horizontal shaft Kohler Command engine, Cast Iron transmission with large oil capacity, the deck is built like a tank and gives a great cut, and is very comfortable to drive. Just a great machine. I have a 100 hrs on it, the only problem was throwing 2 belts due to very bumpy yard. I would recommend it to anyone.

/ Why no Cub Luv? #17  
Another little thing...
Cub LT 2042 other models 3-4 years ago,dang brake pedal to high up if one kinda long legged.

/ Why no Cub Luv? #18  
Another little thing...
Cub LT 2042 other models 3-4 years ago,dang brake pedal to high up if one kinda long legged.

The pedal is up and out of the way because the brake on the 2 and 3K series Cubs are meant to be a parking brake. That's typical of all modern day hydrostatic drives.

Joel

/ Why no Cub Luv? #19  
The pedal is up and out of the way because the brake on the 2 and 3K series Cubs are meant to be a parking brake. That's typical of all modern day hydrostatic drives.

Joel

LOL yes first time ever my wife sit on the cub she ask where is the clutch pedal? and more importantly where is the brake?:confused: she had never driven a hydrostat trans. mower :D she was pleased to know it was as simple as mash the pedal to go and let off to stop:thumbsup: she ask why I didn't get one like this years ago maybe then she wouldn't have bumped into so many things things :laughing: I told her these kind were not an option the year we bought our last mower ( 1998 ) the big deal then was the ( shift on the go )
although the first time she took it around the yard she stop to ask me if she must keep her foot on the gas control always? :cool:
I told her yeah! always, then after 3-4 more times around the yard I stop her to point out the cruise control....:D
she has cut with it 3 times now and all 3 times when first having to crank it she comes tell me the engine will not turn over..... for some reason she keeps forgetting about the parking-brake needing to be pressed in before it will start...I tell her its a saftey just like the old one having to press the clutch in before starting..... she will be cutting grass again today and I'll find out if she has remember this time.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
   / Why no Cub Luv? #20  
That's the truth. After ~30yrs of gear drive GTs and LTs, once you go foot pedal hydrostatic for mowing service you'll never go back. Like 2manyrocks says, if you kick it up a notch further and go ZTR it gets even better yet!

Joel