Why no Cub Luv?

/ Why no Cub Luv? #21  
On the pro forums, Cub is essentially laughed at. Why is this? Deere Marketing?
1*Or is it due to their relationship with MTD?
2*As a MTD owner, i have to say theres no way id buy a Current MTD so i can see where some of this MTD hate comes from.
3*However Cub seems to be speced to a higher level.
To me, in order to get these same things, in a current generation machine im looking a the Cub 2554, or the deere x500's.
4*My previous intrest in the x324 was because it had the 4ws, and my lot has many tight trees to get around.
so that means x500 which is $$$
5*All in all the Cub 2500's seems like a bargain? or am i wrong? Why no Cub luv?
6*Diff lock or 4wd would be a plus, if it doesnt raise prices too much.
7*But i dont think thats available on the cub 2500's, only the deere x500s.
8*Any opinions on the 2554 for my needs?
1*That don't help cause it confuses people to where they can't tell the good ones fron the cheap entry level throw away Big Box Store ones.
2*That's due to see number 1.
3*A 2554 is more tractor for less money than a x500.
4*The x324 is less tractor than the x500 and the 2554 offers the better bang for the buck .
5*The 2500 is the better bang for the buck so you are not wrong.
6*I have a 1966 Bolens 2 W D with Diff lock .
In the 44 years Iv'e owned it I probable have used the Diff lock fewer than a half dozzen times.
My experence is not having Diff lock is no big deal.
7*Diff lock i think is standard on CC 3000 series.
8*I love my CC GT 2554 but I just don't need it .
To bad I an not closer or we might could make a deal .

Scooby074
9*there are likely higher price models that will hold up to tender care.
10*Talked to my welder friend the other day, and he gets a lot of Cub business welding the stress cracks here and there.
11*But one can buy cheap with about any brand name on it. The competition for the market share even drives Deere to produce the cheap lines. Just the old adage, ya's gets what ya's pays for.
9*Not applicable to the CC 2500 and 3000 series.
10*Probably the low end entry level BBS stuff.
11* Every thing from the Big Box stores is throw away entry level stuff.
Brand color Manuf or label makes no difference.

Thats what lead me to look at Cub again.
12* Seems like more bang for the buck?
13*But if there are problems there, like weak frames, then no amount of savings will make up for that.
14*Nothing from Cub, even the "professional" Tank ZTR's get no respect, yet the x500 and 700 deeres and even the "residential" ztracks do?
15*Are the cubs that bad?
16*Are the deeres that good?
17*Allowing for inflation, my $3000 Craftsman back in the day would be $5700 today. So thats about where my budget falls.
18*I SHOULD be able to find an equivalent machine for that much money?
12*It is.
13*Not with the higher end machines .
14* I atribute that to ignorance or misinformation about CC and over hype concerning x500 and 700 deeres .
15*Not really
16*Not really
17*What would you think of a CC 2554 with tiller and front blade for 6800 ? Go price a new out fit with all that and let me know.
18*See 17* it's close.

19*I'm always looking trying out for size when at TSCI .
19*Go to a CC dealer and check out the CC 2500 and 3000 series.

/ Why no Cub Luv?
Thanks LB and others.

The posts pretty much sums up what i thought, that the 2500 series is a good deal for what you get, but then I get reading and start to wonder?? When people complain about trans or frame issues, what models are they referring to?

Diff lock is a bit of a necessity for me on this new lot. Its quite steep. unfortunately that might ruin my budget. or force me to go used.

Im still researching, this purchase may or may not happen soon, but my hand might be forced if i need parts for the old machine and they are obsolete.

Just last week, i spent the better part of a day running around (to 6 stores) to try and find deck blades:(. Would be much worse if it was something less common on the tractor.

Deere makes a nice machine, no doubt, but i dont want to just buy one based on "Hype".

ZTR would be awesome, especially for the trees, but unless i go with a large commercial one, it would be murder on the hills. Plus id like the flexibility of having some ground engaging attachments.

On ingersoll: I applaude them for sticking to a no holds barred heavy tractor!

My neighbour had one of the Case models like JT has (maybe it was larger, i think it had a 3pt hitch). He abused the heck out of it. Most of its life, he mowed our 1/2 mile road shoulders and up the middle. That thing ate more rock than a gravel crusher!!:) Very tough machine.

Unfortunately i have no idea who sells them in my neck of the woods or id take a swing by,

I still think the 2554 is the best bang for the buck. An equal to or better than my current machine, but then theres that lack of diff lock thing.......

There was a used x500 locally with 200 hr. for $5900 IIRC. Not what id call a steal. Its no longer listed, so it must have sold. I guess someone thought it was?

Theres several massey 1010 4wd's for sale too. Around 1000 hrs.. Some with turfs and rear mowers. typically in the 4500-5k price range. Unfortunately none have loaders....

I kind of wonder if a 1010 might be a better fit? I do have a driveway to re-grade and crown, plus lots of landscaping and fixing the grade of the new place.... hmm.???

Anyone have experience with a 1010 and RFM?

/ Why no Cub Luv? #23  
Thing is, once you get used to foot controlled hydrostatic for mowing service, you'll hate the 'column shift' speed and direction control on the Case/Ingersolls.

From what I can see of the new Ingersoll Specs all their models but one are foot controlled. That and addressing the rolling away on a slope when parked with out the parking brake set issue are the only big changes I have seen. I don't think there are any functional quirks with the current models.

/ Why no Cub Luv?
Funny thing about the Ingersolls. There made not 600 miles from here, yet they have no presence ?

I emailed them to see what they say. Perhaps its just a website thing? But i havent heard or seen one since Case got out of the market.

I do like the looks of them though, Not a rounded piece hood in sight:thumbsup::D Looks like my current one. No plastic:D

/ Why no Cub Luv? #25  
From what I can see of the new Ingersoll Specs all their models but one are foot controlled. That and addressing the rolling away on a slope when parked with out the parking brake set issue are the only big changes I have seen. I don't think there are any functional quirks with the current models.

The foot controlled Ingersoll Hydrive is a new thing (last few years). I've never seen a new one aside from online pictures or know of anyone who owns one. They also made a hydrostatic garden tractor model that I know of one fella on these boards had (316GT). The 'runaway' valve has been a standard feature on Case/Ingersolls since ~1980. My 1979 Case 220 doesn't have it and can be frightening on the down-hill. All Hydrives have the "******" feature on the travel control lever that hydraulically slows you down, but it's still scary and inadequate IMO. Ingersoll machines are awesome, it's just that they are priced as much as a compact utility tractor, therefore are basically non-existent in the market, as is the dealer network.

Joel

/ Why no Cub Luv? #26  
The foot controlled Ingersoll Hydrive is a new thing (last few years). I've never seen a new one aside from online pictures or know of anyone who owns one. They also made a hydrostatic garden tractor model that I know of one fella on these boards had (316GT). The 'runaway' valve has been a standard feature on Case/Ingersolls since ~1980. My 1979 Case 220 doesn't have it and can be frightening on the down-hill. All Hydrives have the "******" feature on the travel control lever that hydraulically slows you down, but it's still scary and inadequate IMO. Ingersoll machines are awesome, it's just that they are priced as much as a compact utility tractor, therefore are basically non-existent in the market, as is the dealer network.

Joel

I like them very much as well. My neighbor had one and I took a close look at a used one several years ago. I think your post hits the nail on the head. I wonder what the actual MSRP's are of the current models? The OP mentioned a budget in the $5-6k range. I wonder of one of the non-power steering models can be had for that?

/ Why no Cub Luv? #27  
I bought a White (MTD) GT2100 a couple years ago. I don't know if I would have been better off to get a differant brand of MTD or just stay away from MTD altogether.

There is only one thing I can tell you about that tractor. I HATE it!

The plastic hood is broken and just lays there. The 21hp B&S engine smokes like a champ. The right tie rod is bent somehow. The trim that keeps the seat cushion on started to come off within a year after I bought it new.

I several years ago they were good running machines, but I have decided to stay away from MTD altogether myself.

/ Why no Cub Luv? #28  
I like them very much as well. My neighbor had one and I took a close look at a used one several years ago. I think your post hits the nail on the head. I wonder what the actual MSRP's are of the current models? The OP mentioned a budget in the $5-6k range. I wonder of one of the non-power steering models can be had for that?

I believe they start around $6K and there have been some new, older stock deals on eBay over the years. Problem is, given the OP's location, there would be zero dealers is the area.

Joel

/ Why no Cub Luv?
I believe they start around $6K and there have been some new, older stock deals on eBay over the years. Problem is, given the OP's location, there would be zero dealers is the area.

Joel

pretty much.

Havent heard back on any dealers here, but startingd at 6k is at the very upper extreme of my budget. No doubt theyre tough machines, but i think its more than i want to spend.

any comments on the 1010?? I know its a different class than a GT, but im wondering if it fits my needs better? given my terrain or work needed to get done?

Windy: your experience is exactly why im scared of the current line of MTD's. Local CUB dealer also sells White.

/ Why no Cub Luv? #30  

Joel

Good point about those nos that show up on ebay every so often. I'm sure you are correct about dealer support for the OP. Interesting about the price. That does not really seem out of line when comparing to a premium garden tractor. For example a Simplicity Conquest (their smallest GT) is $6k with a 54" deck and manual steering (and manual deck lift). I would venture to say the Ingersoll is a vastly superior machine at that price point (almost 300lbs heavier).

I have wondered if Ingersoll would do some proper marketing they could compete very well. I would be thrilled to see a small company building a quality product in up in Maine compete with the big boys.