Why no Cub Luv?

/ Why no Cub Luv? #1  

Scooby074

Tractor
BX 25, ZD 326
Ive been researching for the last year or so, options for replacing a 20 +year old Craftsman(MTD) 18Hp, 44 " rear discharge, Garden tractor.

This machine has gone above and beyond over these many years, but its getting to the point where parts are getting obsolete, and its truly showing its age (steering, engine smoke etc)

I was leaning towards a Deere x324 for its 4 wheel steering and great reviews.

This leads me to this thread.

On the pro forums, Cub is essentially laughed at. Why is this? Deere Marketing? Or is it due to their relationship with MTD?

As a MTD owner, i have to say theres no way id buy a Current MTD so i can see where some of this MTD hate comes from.

However Cub seems to be speced to a higher level, much like my current old craftsman MTD (heavy frame, cast iron, serviceable, trans, etc).

To me, in order to get these same things, in a current generation machine im looking a the Cub 2554, or the deere x500's.

My previous intrest in the x324 was because it had the 4ws, and my lot has many tight trees to get around.

Since that time ive added another property, that has a very steep and bumpy yard. So now i have that to contend with.

During my research ive found that the 300 series has the same trans as the 100 series, at a greater price:mad:. And the k49 (?) trans dont handle hills well.

so that means x500 which is $$$

All in all the Cub 2500's seems like a bargain? or am i wrong? Why no Cub luv?

So to sum up this rambling post:)

I want to replace my existing GT with a machine of equal quality and durability.

Quality of cut / anti scalp is very important.

must be able to mow "rough" lawn. all grass, but many rabbit holes/rough ground so deck flotation is required

Must be able to raise the deck high for curb and trailer loading clearance.

Turn radius is also important for the trees, but now not as important as durability on hills.

Ability to climb steep hills is required. existing MTD has problems climbing some areas of the yard (front end becoming light), forcing me to go across or downhill.

Diff lock or 4wd would be a plus, if it doesnt raise prices too much. But i dont think thats available on the cub 2500's, only the deere x500s

Approximate areas to be mowed:

3/4 acre trees and tight turns.

1 acre steep hills

Any opinions on the 2554 for my needs?

Im open to all suggestions including deere models or other brands, however about all thats locally available are: Cub, deere, Massey, kubota, sears, husquvarna, and the various MTD private labels

/ Why no Cub Luv? #2  
I just replaced a 20+ year old John Deere 112L with a Cub Cadet 1050 (Both of these have a Kawasaki engine). To keep that JD going that long required a bit of work (such as welding a frame that cracked in half, rebuilding the steering a couple of times, new starter, Lots of minor electrical problems, etc). Looking at the new models of either, they both seemed comparable. I'll let you know in 5 years if I made the right choice. Doug

/ Why no Cub Luv? #3  
On the pro forums, Cub is essentially laughed at. Why is this? Deere Marketing? Or is it due to their relationship with MTD?

That's your problem right there. If you want to read-up on the strengths, weaknesses, capabilities, etc.. of Cub lawn/garden tractors, DO NOT read the "pro forums". They don't know squat about Cub lawn/garden machines because very little in the realm is used in this type of service. I've read the commercial forums for years and have to laugh at their general lack of knowledge associated with this stuff. They know their business, they know their $10K commercial ZTRs, they don't know non-commercial Cub.

Joel

/ Why no Cub Luv? #4  
Scooby074
I think your long post gives your answer quite well as to "why". After going to MTD, Cub coasted on their reputation. And today, there are likely higher price models that will hold up to tender care.

Talked to my welder friend the other day, and he gets a lot of Cub business welding the stress cracks here and there. To the point, he chewed on a regional rep about the crappy design of the Cubs they were selling. Must be he was tired of fixing them.

But one can buy cheap with about any brand name on it. The competition for the market share even drives Deere to produce the cheap lines. Just the old adage, ya's gets what ya's pays for.

/ Why no Cub Luv?
Im a firm believer in you get what you pay for:thumbsup: Thats why i went right past the 1000 series Cubs and 100 series deeres. I also went right past the various MTDs and AYPs .

however if i can get a better deal for equal money than why not? I have to say that when i found out about the same trans being used in the 100 (home depot) series and the x300 (dealership) series i was more than a little miffed.:mad:

Basically the x300 deeres arent the machine i thought they were. Thats what lead me to look at Cub again. Seems like more bang for the buck?

But if there are problems there, like weak frames, than no amount of savings will make up for that.

about the pro forums. I understand that those guys run commercial ztr's/ walk behinds however theres still some that have garden tractors.

Nothing from Cub, even the "professional" Tank ZTR's get no respect, yet the x500 and 700 deeres and even the "residential" ztracks do?

What am i missing? Are the cubs that bad? Are the deeres that good? Is it marketing?

The tank seems like a pretty decent, commercial machine yet still no love.

Allowing for inflation, my $3000 Craftsman back in the day would be $5700 today. So thats about where my budget falls. I SHOULD be able to find an equivalent machine for that much money?

Beenthere: The Cubs your friend is welding, are those 1000,2500 or 3000 series? Or are they from all models?

On thing i can say, my current GT has a very heavy frame, especially when it flips back and pins you under it while loading :eek:

/ Why no Cub Luv? #6  
I am a beginner on the cub cadets but have admire them for some time now , always looking trying out for size when at the TSC, I pay close attention to the parts that frequently needing welded on my old poulan,
I noted the much stronger built front axle made of I-beam on the cub instead of hollow molded 2 pc and mig weld together one on my old Poulan,the mowing deck and frame itself looks to be built from thicker guage steel than the craftsman/poulan mowers are made with,
I've always when time come to buy a new mower looked at what I could afford and then went 1 step better then that. Been lucky so far, My poulan last 12 years and still would be using it had I not got tired of welding on it, the 17 hp Intek engine sure out last the frame...... for some reason the JD just never grabbed my attention, I always thought of them as an overpriced name brand, JD did although but not sure if they still do offer a Scotts make JD mower at a lesser cost, but still I had no interest in it either, the IH cub was a design that last for decades I figured their reason behind that was due to good workmanship, JD is always on the move to better improve something or another,

/ Why no Cub Luv? #7  
Cuz the newer cubs aren't built like tanks like the IH cubs. But they don't have to be to just cut grass in the yard. In a sense, the IH cubs were scaled down farm tractors and overbuilt for today's average homeowner.

/ Why no Cub Luv? #8  
I had the older cubs in the past..127,682,1450 than went to wheel horse,couple years ago purchase new cub 2042,its okay unit but not comfortable also parts $$'s plus very compact to work on if need be..older cubs would out work operator every time.

If you get chance check out older cub metal thickness etc. on tractor also mower deck.

/ Why no Cub Luv? #9  
Something else to look for is the capacity of the hydrostat, the oil capacity. I've had a cheap hydrostat that would not pull any kind of a hill on a hot day. This prompted me to go to the Cub GT 2544 which has a much higher capacity transmission and it pulls hills with no effort. The deck is very heavy as is the suspension. Cub did have a recall on mine and they did install a much needed heat shield around the exhaust system gratis. I notice that the newer machines have eliminated the need for that. I mow 3+ acres regularly and I am satisfied.

/ Why no Cub Luv? #10  
For a home-owner lawn tractor, cub used to have an elite name. They used to have a product that seemed "overbuilt", but now you better make sure you've matched the machine to your needs, because they'll just barely cover it.

This is 100% opinion and I reserve the right to be wrong.

I happen to own an LT2180 and found the deck to be extremely lacking in strength and cut quality.