125 blowing sparks

/ 125 blowing sparks #1  

new2me

So I got this 125 off a co-worker that parked it outside his barn 1.5yrs ago. I had to rewire it and replace the voltage regulator and rebuild the generator to get some sign of life. Then I did'nt have but -/+25psi compression so I dumped some 30w down the cylinder and left it for a couple weeks. This sat. I decided to try it and she fired right up billowing smoke out the exhaust like none other. Drove her around till the smoke stopped and my girlfriend said when I passed her she was getting hit by bits of "stuff" and noticed sparks coming out the exhaust. Do you think that the rings are falling apart or junk in the muffler.

Second issue that makes me feel she needs to be refreshed is she wont start if I hook up the mower belt. She tries but just cant do it. The mower deck seems to move ok so I assume she just dont have the umphh to run under load. Kind of odd though cause she will drive around.

Who has the best deals on parts if I do need to rebuild? Im a full time student so I really have to keep cost down.
All thoughts are welcome.

/ 125 blowing sparks #2  
sounds like its carbon,run it like ya stole it and see if it doest come around.Sea foam is a very good product so try adding to fresh fuel:thumbsup:Dave

/ 125 blowing sparks
I did actually add some sea foam to the fuel just before I tried to get it running. It probably couldnt hurt to add more now that the old fuels gone. I would like to rebuild the carb but I cant seem to find a kit for a decent price. When I do a search all I find is $200+ carbs for sale not the kits to rebuild them.

/ 125 blowing sparks #4  
another thing you can do if the sea foam won,t cure it,if its a single kohler pull the head off (very easy to do) and bring piston up to top dead center and wire brush the top of the piston clean.Remove the muffler and get any crap in it out.It sounds to me to be a very simple fix.Dave