Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    Cub Cadet RZT 50

Default Re: Cub Cadet RZT 50 - Ongoing Reviews

It has been a while since my last update. I've gotten very use to my RZT50 now and it is actually fun to cut my grass! No problems to-date....motor starts easy and she does a fine job of cutting my grass!

One thing that I have been doing after every usage is to blow the clippings off. There are several areas that tend to accumulate clippings that would probably present a problem if not removed. Especially on top of the deck under the areas that protect the pulleys. Preventive maintenance, especially with these non-commercial grade zero-turn mowers, is essential to their longevity!

So Far...So Good!!
    Mark
    2010 Cub Cadet RZT 50 w/ 22HP V-Twin Kawasaki

"Relax...I only cut my grass once a week! I'll be OK!!"

Watch for transmission troubles (loss of power to one side).

I just spent over $900 to replace one of the two transmissions on my RZT-50 after 215 hours.

I take good care of it - blew off clippings with compressed air, store it inside, only mow dry grass, change the engine oil & filters twice a year. There does not seem to be much that one can do to protect the transmissions. Reading here, there seems to be no way to change transmission fluid without disassembling the whole thing.

The Cub dealer had 3 others that came back as trade-ins with the same problem & admitted that it was a common problem that he saw.

It is a nice mower when healthy.

Tractor
    rzt

Mark I started to have problems with my hydro drives at 300hrs. Only to discover this
    is a common problem, actually the problems start showing up around 250hrs. for most,
    I got to 300hrs. I have talked to other owners and found out the drives end up having to be replaced this cost 700-900 each, so 2/3 the cost of the mower. I was really shocked to see this is common after so few hours. My old lawn tractor has a hydro trans with 1000's of hours on it and still works fine. I hope for you that the newer models have different drives on them the old ones dont even have a drain much less a filter. All fluid work has to be done through the vent on top.

Tractor
    Cub Cadet Z-Force 44

All the 200-300hr Hydrogear EZT failures you read of are a shame. The thing is, I have to think Hydrogear Corp has improved these drives from what they were 3-5yrs ago. Every single manufacturer of ZTRs that I know of uses the EZT transaxles on their entry level ZTRs. You wouldn't think big boys like John Deere, Toro, Gravely, etc, would risk it. On the flip side of all of this, separate hydrostatic pump and wheel motor drives that you find on higher end machines run ~$1500+ per side. Nothin's inexpensive on these.

Joel
    Tractors of the past:
    2010 Cub Cadet Z-Force 44 fab
    2005 Cub Cadet 2544
    1979 Case 220
    2003 Yard Machines 17hp 42" transmatic (crap-matic)

Tractor
    Cub Cadet RZT 50

Quote Originally Posted by JTKub View Post
    ...I have to think Hydrogear Corp has improved these drives from what they were 3-5yrs ago. Every single manufacturer of ZTRs that I know of uses the EZT transaxles on their entry level ZTRs....
    I hope you are right Joel!
    Mark
    2010 Cub Cadet RZT 50 w/ 22HP V-Twin Kawasaki

"Relax...I only cut my grass once a week! I'll be OK!!"

Tractor
    Cub Cadet Z-Force 44

Mark, it's gotta be. Look around. Every single ZTR manufacturer I can find that makes an entry level, residential machine is using Hydrogear EZTs and then ZT-2800's on their next notch up. I'm still questioning why Tufftorq hasn't entered the game. I have yet to get an answer on it. Regardless, I'd rather replace a ~$900 EZT than have to tear into and replace a high end pump & wheel motor drive. You're talking ~$1500+ there.

Joel
    Tractors of the past:
    2005 Cub Cadet 2544
    1979 Case 220

Tractor
    01 Kubota B21TLB, 2010 Ferris 52" ZTR, Cub Cadet 1811, Gravely Super8

JTKub

On my Ferris !S2000 it has the Hydrogear 12CC pumps and 15IN wheel motors - commercial series I do beleive. Runs about $450 to $500 each for the pump and wheel motor total aound $950. I looked into these before buying and found that all brands (Scag, Exmark, Hustler etc) all use some combo of Hydrogear alone or Hydrogear and Parker wheel motors, and from the various forums I see some failures across the board but nothing specific to cause concern.

Tractor
    Cub Cadet Z-Force 44

Yep, Ferris is one of the few that still used separate hydro pump and wheel motor drive systems, even on their starting model ZTR. Any of those babies has got to ride nice with the front suspension!

Joel
    Tractors of the past:
    2005 Cub Cadet 2544
    1979 Case 220

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Cub Cadet 2544

Quote Originally Posted by JTKub View Post
    Yep, Ferris is one of the few that still used separate hydro pump and wheel motor drive systems, even on their starting model ZTR. Any of those babies has got to ride nice with the front suspension!

Joel
    I got to mow my neighbor's yard a few times earlier this month while they were on vacation with his IS1500Z - 48" deck with the Kawi engine. Prior to that I did a full PM job for him - oil, lube, filter, sharpen, deck adjust and level.

Needless to say, it's an impressive machine. Takes a little practice to drive so it doesn't look like a spastic fool cut the grass, and don't grab those levers and give 'em a big shove because you'll end up with a giant case if PIO (pilot induced oscillations) and look like a spastic fool again.

But, that machine chowed through some thick, tall (~6") grass taking it down to 3-1/2" or so and hardly missing a grass blade. I didn't push the speed much beyond normal "old school" tractor speeds, but it would have easily gone quite a bit faster, and still cut better than my 2544.

A few things I noticed - it's LOUD. The deck howls louder than my Cub and the hydros whine a lot louder, too. I suppose having the engine out in the open and then sitting on top of the whole works makes it seem worse than my '05 with the full metal hood.

Also, the blade cutting edges are almost level with the bottom lip at the front of the deck so the deck doesn't bend the grass down and away from the blades as much. My deck has at least 1/2" of deck lower than the blade cutting edges.

Lastly, the Ferris blades are shaped like this: ___---- ----___ with the cutting edges lower than the non-cutting portions. My Cub blades are flat: _____ _____ and that just causes the blunt portion of the blades to beat up whatever grass gets missed by the front cutting pass of the deck, hog power, and make the cut look ragged. After realizing this, I re-leveled the deck last weekend and took it up to 1/4" slope from front to back from the 1/8" that it was (lower in front, that is). Lift of the Cub vs. Ferris blades is similar, and while the Ferris deck is deeper, they both are similarly baffled.

So, I'm going to start looking for a set of blades that has the Ferris profile which will drop down the cutting edges a bit and keep the rest of the blade out of grass. I'd love to improve the cut quality a bit and get rid of that center "mohawk" it always seems to leave - being worse the higher I cut - setting 4 in the fall and spring, 5 in the summer.

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 1433v

i love my ZTR 50 cc, i haven't had any problems with my tranny [yet].
    My problem is alittle different. My front end pivit point let go. There is a round shaft, that the front arms sit on top. Well the welds or lack there of let go they should have welded the shaft all the way around but they didn't.

So now it is fixed and extra support added.

Shane

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast