Cub Cadet RZT 50 - Ongoing Reviews

/ Cub Cadet RZT 50 - Ongoing Reviews #51  
I'd have to say the ZT-2800's are great. I haven't heard of a single failure on them.

I had them on my Z-Force 44, but sold the machine when we sold the house. I only had like 25-30hrs on it. :(

Joel

/ Cub Cadet RZT 50 - Ongoing Reviews #52  
I have around 80 hrs on mine with no issues so far.

/ Cub Cadet RZT 50 - Ongoing Reviews #53  
I think this is my fourth mowing season with my "purchased new" RZT50, 22hp kaw.
No problems except for grease fittings pulling out.
Cuts nice and smooth on my 3/4 acre.
Mower has been well maintained.
So far so good.

Update: Still going strong after fifth season. No problems other than grease fittings.

/ Cub Cadet RZT 50 - Ongoing Reviews #54  
Because of helping a friend on his MD farm, I'm a long-time TBN reader but recently bought a home where I personally need more than a push mower. A local guy has a RZT50 for sale. Only 39 hours and just slightly more than 1/2 the present HomeDepot price. However, when I asked about how difficult it is to grease the zerks under the deck, he said he didn't know, he'd never done it.

I've seen some complain about getting under the deck to grease the fittings. I've seen others say the bearings are sealed so the zerks are unnecessary. Anyone have an opinion about whether I should walk from this deal because of probable bearing wear?

/ Cub Cadet RZT 50 - Ongoing Reviews #55  
With only 39 hours on it I wouldn't worry about it. The recommended service interval on the blade spindles is 25 hours. I know I've gone longer than that many times on my Z Force 50 that now has over 450 hours on it.

/ Cub Cadet RZT 50 - Ongoing Reviews #56  
With only 39 hours on it I wouldn't worry about it.

+1 to that.

I doubt any damage occurred in that small of a timeframe.

If the unit can be had for a good price ($1500??), go for it.

Joel

/ Cub Cadet RZT 50 - Ongoing Reviews #57  
thank you both for the reply. After OldMachinist's input and advice from other friends, we went ahead with the purchase. At $1700, we thought there would be sufficient value. It came with mulching blades attached but with discharge chute still operable. I just finished my first cuttting and am mostly impressed. I'm a little hesitant to compliment the deck washing system. I washed both sides but then peeled about 6 gallons of clippings (based on the 3.5 gallon bucket into which I gathered the material) from the undercarriage. Either the grass was wetter than I estimated or there was more prior-owner residual clumping than I thought. Anyway, now that I know it's clean, I'll try the wash feature after my next cutting. (BTW, I'm in S.FL so the next cutting will be in a few weeks depending on rainfall). How does everyone else feel about this washing feature, beneficial or useless?

I should also note that I'm a little concerned about the traction. The drive wheels seems to have a lot of slippage when attempting to reverse. The slippage does not appear related to terrain or type of ground cover. I know the turf tires should be low impact but perhaps there's a hybrid tire that is mostly turf with some slightly beefier traction features.

Last edited:
   / Cub Cadet RZT 50 - Ongoing Reviews #58  
My opinion of the wash system that its useless. It does work when the deck is new but once the paint is worn off under the deck the clippings stick to the bare/rusted metal too well for it wash them off.
With help of a small overhead hoist I can remove the deck for a proper cleaning in about 5 mins. My brother uses the kids swing set with a come-along to lift his for deck removal.

I changed my tires to a lug design and as long you're careful about 180 degree turns they don't tear up the grass.
DSCF1178.jpg

/ Cub Cadet RZT 50 - Ongoing Reviews #59  
Deck seems to have retained most of its paint underneath through the first 41 hours. It appears to have poorly designed clipping channels. I see curves that would seem to interrupt the flow of air/clippings so that blockages are easily obtained. After the earlier post, I realized I forgot the area betwen the front fence and the road. I'd say it's maybe 150 ft by 15-20 ft. I tried washing the undercarriage again then was only mildly surprised when I had to rescrape the clippings. I feel like I mowed a small area but still had more than a gallon of scrapings.

When all's said and done, the cut quality is good but, today, this rookie has learned to plan for scraping time after every outing.

/ Cub Cadet RZT 50 - Ongoing Reviews #60  
You may want to get a set of regular blades for it and see if it discharges better.