Cub Cadet RZT 50 - Ongoing Reviews

/ Cub Cadet RZT 50 - Ongoing Reviews #1  

MAsZ71

Tractor
Cub Cadet RZT 50
After a fair amount of research I decided on a Cub Cadet RZT 50. My primary deciding factors were cost, engine/deck size, warranty, financing options & a close-by independent dealer that does service work.

I bought my RZT 50 from Charlotte Tractor. They are about 10 miles from my house. My limited funds put me in the $2800 - $3200 range. The RZT 50 was $2999 and I was able to get 0% for 24 months. Cub Cadet is also offering an additional year on their standard 3 yr warranty for free for a limited time.

1st mow (6/12/10) review: The mower was delivered ready to go, but I still went over everything for myself just to make sure. I moved the cut height to the highest setting and moved the deck wheels down. Since I had never driven a zero turn mower before, I went ahead and ran my push mower around everything first. Figured that would keep me from running everything over during my first time out. The mower cranked up right away and ran smooth. At first I was a little erratic manuvering around trees and the fence, but it didn't take too long to get the hang of it! I am very happy with the quality of the cut. My lawn is very healthy, but my old 38" Simplicity Regent tractor just didn't do a good job. The RZT 50 makes the yard look like it was cut professionally.

No issues for the first time out. So far, VERY HAPPY with the mower and the quality of cut! I will continue to update this thread

Feel free to include your experiences with your RZT (42, 50, 50VT, or 54) mower on this thread. This will eventually provide future owners a location to come research these mowers.

Mark

/ Cub Cadet RZT 50 - Ongoing Reviews #2  
I have the RZT 42. Bought it used last winter(good deal). Need to replace deck, but overall it do a good job. Only issue is when engaging the PTO it try to cut out until the unit is warm.
Anybody got a used 42" deck?

/ Cub Cadet RZT 50 - Ongoing Reviews #4  
I'm at somewhere around seventy hours on mine now, third summer, other than the grease fittings pulling out of the front wheels pivots everything is good so far. Paid $3400 canadian with free push mower and a free whipper snipper at Home Depot. There is one bearing that I will replace at the end of this mowing season as I noticed it sounded a little dry when I had it off this spring, my spindle bearings are the sealed type. deck wash is pretty much useless but that seems to be common with a lot of mowers. There is another thread about these mowers on here somewhere.

Steve
Nova Scotia

P.S. Mine is the 50" with the Kawasaki motor (22HP)

/ Cub Cadet RZT 50 - Ongoing Reviews
There is another thread about these mowers on here somewhere.
Steve: Thanks for your post! I've read a few of the other RZT posts and they were helpful. I just thought it might be beneficial to the Forum to have an ongoing update on these zero turn mowers for future member's research efforts. Since I was starting this thread from "Day 1" I figured it would provide a unique perspective!

P.S. Mine is the 50" with the Kawasaki motor (22HP)
This is the same model I bought. The local Tractor Supply Company retail store had the RZT 50VT model with the Briggs & Stratton engine. The price was the same, but they didn't offer the Cub Cadet financing options, and they had to send the mower out if there was ever any warranty work required. This was the primary reasons I went with Charlotte Tractor. :thumbsup:

/ Cub Cadet RZT 50 - Ongoing Reviews
2nd Mowing (6/19/10) Review: Once you get use to driving this mower the job gets easier and quicker. Any issues I have are a result of operator error. Again, I am very pleased with the cut quality. Beats the crap out of my old 38" Simplicity Regent lawn tractor!

This mower is MORE THAN ADEQUATE for residential use! Don't listen to the commercial guys. There is nothing wrong with these low end zero turn mowers for us homeowners!! :thumbsup:

I won't bore you with updates for EVERY time I use it. I'll only provide updates for "significant" events throughout my RZT 50's life.

Let's hear from the rest of you RZT owners! Keep the thread going!

/ Cub Cadet RZT 50 - Ongoing Reviews #8  
I don't have an RZT, but the next click up with a 2010 model Z-Force 44". Like you MAsZ, I'm really learning to enjoy the machine. I'm only at ~10hrs on it so far. I've had the deck off once for a gauge wheel adjustment and greasing (heavy sucker!) and have done an engine oil change. A great ZTR for the money!

009-1.jpg

Joel

/ Cub Cadet RZT 50 - Ongoing Reviews #9  
I just bought a Cub RZT54 about three weeks ago. I have mowed my large, fairly rough yard with it twice. I had never used a zero-turn before, but I got the hang of it quickly, and i love mowing with it. I chose the RZT54 for the bigger deck, more powerful engine, and upgraded transmissions over the RZT50 model. Contrary to what someone else mentioned here, the deck wash really works well on mine. I have lots of "juicy" grass that really sticks to the deck, and it's amazing how much of that stuff the deck wash removes. I hook up the hose to both sides, and let the blades run about 2-3 minutes per side. I love the Kawasaki engine- runs so smooth and relatively quiet. It has cut my mowing time almost in half :D

/ Cub Cadet RZT 50 - Ongoing Reviews #10  
Duane, that's basically the reason I went with the Z-Force over the RZT series. I liked the Hydrogear ZT-2800's over the ETZ transaxles. That and I don't have the need for a 54". Kawi engines are pretty sweet. I would have much preferred that over the Courage twin on my Z-Force, but time will tell. With my 1.5 acres, I only do about 30hrs/year. The Courage series continually gets a bad wrap based on the early on issues the Courage SINGLE cyl engines had. I haven't heard anything bad about the V-twins yet. The only major hardware difference between a Courage and Command twin is Courage has flat tappets and manual jamb nut valve lash adjustment like a Honda, Kawi or Vanguard.

Joel