voltage regulator

/ voltage regulator #1  

Kitz

Silver Member
Tractor
IH 244
Hi Everyone i just bought a new regulator for my cub 149 i put the new one on and it started alright but when i shut it off the starter kept turning until i disconnected the bat wire at the regulator which gets hot all the wiring is correct ihooked it up to 2cubs and same thing any ideas appreciated RICK

/ voltage regulator #2  
Hi Everyone i just bought a new regulator for my cub 149 i put the new one on and it started alright but when i shut it off the starter kept turning until i disconnected the bat wire at the regulator which gets hot all the wiring is correct ihooked it up to 2cubs and same thing any ideas appreciated RICK

Did the starter start turning when you shut it off or did it start without the starter shutting off and stay on even thouogh you shut it off? If you turn the key to the on position (not start position) does the starter turn over?

The starter solenoid is either locked on or you have it wired bypassing it. I need more info to help you isolatethe trouble.

Rob

/ voltage regulator
ROB WHEN I TURN THE IGNITION OFF THE STARTER WILL STILL TURN IT STARTS NORMAL THE REGULATOR THAT I REPLACED WORKS GOOD WITHOUT THIS PROBLEM IF I PUT THE NEW ONE ON MY OTHER TRACTOR I GET THE SAME THING THANKS

/ voltage regulator #4  
The terminals on the new regulator may be in a different position than the old one. Here are a couple of examples.

147974.jpg

147975.jpg

On these old style regulators they should have the terminals marked in some way so you can verify where the wires should go.
Here's a link to the 149 wiring diagram.
http://ihregistry.com/wire/C35.pdf

If you are sure the wires are on the right terminals then the contact points in the new regulator may stuck closed.

For people not familar with these old tractors the generator acts as the starter motor.

/ voltage regulator #5  
If both tractors have the same problem then either the new regulator is defective or, like Old machinist says, the terminals are different.

Is it an exact replacement? You can remove the covers to see if the layout is the same or the relay is frozen on.
Rob

/ voltage regulator
Howdy All thanks for the input i think i have it figured out the points were together but it was the spring tension on that coil i tightened up the spring now it keeps them separate does that sound right ? the wierd thing is that it is brand new and also that is the 2nd one i bought it and had the problem i contacted seller and he sent me another new unit so they were both needing spring tension or is what i did wrong Thanks Again all

/ voltage regulator
This regulator is exact replacement terminals all the same i have another old regulator thanks works good the points are open all the time on the new replacements they were closed every thing else looked good :confused2:

/ voltage regulator #8  
Most likely what you did was change the charge voltage when you adjusted the spring. Others are correct when they told you it was a mistake. Check the battery voltage when it's charging and charged, it should be around 13.8 volts DC.

You don't want to overcharge it you could ruin the battery or worse.

Rob