Cub 2542

/ Cub 2542 #1  

timkins

Tractor
Cub Cadet Model 2542
I bought a new Cub 2542 last June 2009 and it has about 25 hours on it. I am extremely disappointed with the job it does cutting the lawn. Mosttimes it leaves a narrow strip of cut grass piled up in the center of the deck and sometimes it does not cut completely. Am I doing something wrong, is it set up correctly or is this the nature of the beast?

/ Cub 2542 #2  
First I would check that the large nut that holds the blade on is tight(90-100 ft lbs) Then I would follow the leveling procedure in the manual. It sounds like the deck is set up high in the front instead of having the rear high.

/ Cub 2542 #3  
Yep, slightly nose-down is optimal. Although, if too far nose-down, the nose roller could be mashing down a strip of grass such that the deck can't suck it up and mow it. From what I've seen over the years, the 42" cuts very well, but can't handle too much, too fast or too wet. It's a shallow deck and will clog easily than the 44" on up. I like to set my gauge wheels high and keep the deck kind of high so the wheels rarely touch ground, jostling the deck around.

Joel