Zero Turn Won't Go Straight

/ Zero Turn Won't Go Straight
Back with an update.

It finally became unusable. $925 later, I had a new transmission on one side. The dealer explained that the other side was getting weak, and made some adjustments to make it steer right, except just not mow as fast at top speed. He also said that the transmissions were the common cause of failure for the ZTs, and that everything else, including the engine, seemed to last a long time.

Maybe that was a sales pitch - I see another $925 coming some time next year, when the other side goes.

/ Zero Turn Won't Go Straight #12  
that sux that they know there transmissions are a problem and just state it so matter-of-factly. It seems like they would at least replace the trans. with a better one since its on your dime. Sorry for your problems. It may be worth looking into a comm. zero turn, I know the cost is way more but I've never turned a bolt so far on my JD 737. knock on wood.

/ Zero Turn Won't Go Straight #13  
Thanks for the follow up LT. It's a shame it didn't go more in your favor. Hopefully HG corp has improved the EZT transaxles over the earlier models. It's ridiculous to have to potentially put ~$2000 into a $3000 mower that is a relatively new machine, but you're half way into it now. It wouldn't really make financial sense to sell/trade it now. I guess in the meantime, keep those hydros clean and out of the weather. I personally would yank the original one and do an oil change on it with a synthetic 20w50 to squeeze as much life out of it as possible. There's threads on here in regards to changing oil on the EZTs

Joel

Yeah, it's a shame.

I asked the dealer about the chance of getting a used transmission. He laughed & said "I've got 3 of these out back that I took as trade-ins. They are all in great shape except that the transmissions are gone on all 3. If you needed an engine, you'd be in luck".

He offered me $300 to trade mine in on a new zero turn, but I declined.

Something is wrong with this picture....

/ Zero Turn Won't Go Straight #15  
All 6 of the hydros (on the 3 units) the dealer had out back were bad? I bet not. That dealer should be able to make a ton of money by rebuilding & re-selling the ones that quit working. There's a few fellas on here that have been able to disassemble and shim/rework faulty EZTs and get them working again. It's beyond my scope but doable. A good dealer should have the skills.

Joel

I wondered about that. I noticed that the Cub parts site sold internal parts for the transmissions. I figured that someone might repair or rebuild transmissions, but had no way to find a place. My friendly local Cub dealer clearly didn't open them up. I can tackle some repairs, but not the guts of a transmission. The individual parts for the transmission seemed cheap - but I guess that knowing which one to replace is what costs!:)

/ Zero Turn Won't Go Straight #17  
I wondered about that. I noticed that the Cub parts site sold internal parts for the transmissions. I figured that someone might repair or rebuild transmissions, but had no way to find a place. My friendly local Cub dealer clearly didn't open them up. I can tackle some repairs, but not the guts of a transmission. The individual parts for the transmission seemed cheap - but I guess that knowing which one to replace is what costs!:)

just in case anyone has the problem of not going straight after fighting for 2 years with this Z beast I found the tires were different hight's same size tire 22 x 10;00 x 10 but one is a inch taller than the other would post pictures but can't find how

/ Zero Turn Won't Go Straight #18  
I have a Z beast 54" zero turn mower that would not go straight and after fighting for two years I finally found the problem

tire size 22 x 10;00 x 10 ONE TIRE WAS 1" SHORTER THAN OTHER SIDE same size same air pressure same size rim

hope this will help someone like myself that could not find out why it would not go straight