Cub Cadet 2186 with steering issues

/ Cub Cadet 2186 with steering issues #1  

frisbeguy4

Tractor
cubcadet 2186 & cub 125
I have a 2186 Cub that does not steer straight. You really have to work on it to have it go straight. I have replaced the two steering gears as there was play in the teeth. I have replaced the wheel's bearings & steering bushings, and it steers better but still has play. I am thinking about replacing the ball joints. Any suggestions will be appreciated!

/ Cub Cadet 2186 with steering issues #2  
the balljoints are about all thats left. did you replace the bushing in the front axle's pivot yet? that and the balljoints are all i can think that would be left to replace.

/ Cub Cadet 2186 with steering issues
Do you know the model number of the pivot bushings? If I know the number, I could see the part on a drawing.

/ Cub Cadet 2186 with steering issues #4  
Axle doesn't have a bushing but the pivot bolt #13 may be worn. Part #738-3110. If the pivot hole is worn you could have it bored out and a bushing installed.
convert

/ Cub Cadet 2186 with steering issues #5  
You also have to keep those #2's and 5's snugged or you'll have some fore and aft play to the axle. Also, a crazy amount of toe in/out to the front wheels will cause it to wander. You can adjust that with the sleeves on the steering tie rods.

Joel

/ Cub Cadet 2186 with steering issues #6  
You also have to keep those #2's and 5's snugged or you'll have some fore and aft play to the axle. Also, a crazy amount of toe in/out to the front wheels will cause it to wander. You can adjust that with the sleeves on the steering tie rods.

Joel

I'm with Joel.. If the axle arm is wiggling about the steering will suffer.. If they get loooooser the steering can start to bind..

/ Cub Cadet 2186 with steering issues
I have ordered and received ball joints for the Cub. How do you go about adjusting the ball joints properly? Does any one have any suggestions adjusting them?

/ Cub Cadet 2186 with steering issues #8  
frisbeguy4,
I don't own a 2186 but after viewing some pics of the model I would wonder if you couldn't do a pretty good alignment with the following:

It looks as if the rear wheels have a wider track than the fronts. If so, take a 6 foot long level (or something similar that is perfectly straight) and bungee cord it to the outside of the rear wheel on one side of the tractor. Attach it so that it touches the rear tire front and rear of the tire, axle high, and as far forward as the front edge of the front tire. Support the front of the level at the front tire with some wood blocks or similar.

At this point you should be able to use a steel ruler or tape measure to measure the distance from the level to the front and rear of the front tire's rim. Adjust the ball joints as needed to get the distances the same. Do the one side of the tractor, then repeat for the other side of the tractor.

Seems to me that this should get you pretty close to perfect. Good Luck!