Cub Cadet 2185

/ Cub Cadet 2185 #1  

Maxify55

Gold Member
Tractor
LS XR3037HC / Mitsubishi MT372
I've retired and thoroughly enjoy my job as general laborer on a farm I've purchased to assist my 25 yr old daughter in feeding her Equine Addiction.

My job description further entails answering the call to anything that horses break or when any of the various machines I have purchased falters.

Of course, it must always be the machines fault as humans are incapable of such behavior. That includes operating our dedicated manure spreader/puller.

This poor unfortunate soul has had the audacity to run itself out of crankcase oil without prior authorization or notification. That's when the call goes out to Dear Old Dad:

"Make It Go! It Won't Go! I Have No Idea What Has Happened To It! It Just Won't Go!"

In an attempt to "Make It Go" I find that the offending machine has has it's crankcase dump port pulled out, twisted to the open position and had it's life saving contents spilled God only knows where. As there is, of course, no sign of any spillage.

I now am the proud owner of a blown CH18S Kohler motor with a thrown rod in #1 cylinder. You guys that know these Cub specific Kohler engines can feel my pain in attempting to find a replacement engine or anyone that will repair said engine for anything less than the actual value of the entire tractor.

I now find myself in a quandary as to whether it is actually even worth repairing. I'm currently leaning toward parting out a 300 hour Cub 2185 tractor...drive shaft, hydro pump and all.

An interesting side note has arisen in that I've heard of an underground repair. Whereby another engine can be placed back into the original position, albeit in reverse, as there is no need for a deck pulley.

(I had removed the deck years ago as it was just excess weight on a platform dedicated to pulling a 30 bushel manure spreader.)

Have any of you Cub guys even seen or are you aware of such a modification. All the engine has to do is drive the hydro pump.

The Cub has performed flawlessly and tirelessly for 2 years. Aside from finding the occasional nail in a tire left behind by a careless farrier.

Can any of you find a recourse for this old mule? Aside from parting him out? The dealer want $1110 for a short block (Plus Labor) or $2000 for a new engine (Plus Labor).

When my laughter subsided I was able to tell the offending mechanic that I had better things to do with my money than send him to the Bahamas this coming winter or make the next mortgage payment on his house.

Pics are available for anyone desiring to make an offer for this righteous beast. Pick up only: I-75 North Florida corridor.

Serious offers only guys. I'm foolish for allowing my children to grow to adulthood not stupid. :D

/ Cub Cadet 2185 #2  
im confused as to why the replacement motor would have to be in reverse. it would have to match the crank rotation of the kohler regardless of which way it was facing so the hydro was pumping the right way. im sure that you could pick up something else more complete for that amount of money.

/ Cub Cadet 2185 #3  
If you do part it out I may be interested in the carb.

Al

/ Cub Cadet 2185
im confused as to why the replacement motor would have to be in reverse. it would have to match the crank rotation of the kohler regardless of which way it was facing so the hydro was pumping the right way. im sure that you could pick up something else more complete for that amount of money.

The Kohler motor is specifically designed with the PTO forward and the belts directed rearward under the front of the motor.

The drive shaft is connected to the crankshaft from behind and through the motor.

Why they did it thusly is as a mystery to me. It's got to be the most bizarre thing I've ever seen. I quite sure there's some engineer somewhere that can explain it.

Maybe Red Green?

/ Cub Cadet 2185 #5  

Kohler engines for the shaft drive cubs are the horizontal crankshaft type.

/ Cub Cadet 2185 #6  
right, i know that, but if he was looking for anything to put in there, regardless of make, he would just have to be concerned about making sure the hydro was pumping the right way. don't the kaw's and kubotas turn the opposite direction of the kohlers?