Cub Cadet SLT 1554 Steering problems

/ Cub Cadet SLT 1554 Steering problems #1  

Freddyt59

Tractor
Cub Cadet SLT 1554
I am trying to fix a steering problem on my 1554. What is the best way to get the old Steering Gear plate off?
While trying to fix this I noticed my drive belt had major cracks in it. Is this going to be a PITA to get off and the new one on?

Any hints would be appreciated.

Last edited:
   / Cub Cadet SLT 1554 Steering problems
Wow, thanks for such a quick reply. I have downloaded your manual and I am sure I can get this done. Thanks again, Freddyt59

OM, Is there a way to lock down the PTO so I can get the bolt out of the bottom?
It wants to spin and I do not see anything I can lock it down with.

Freddyt

/ Cub Cadet SLT 1554 Steering problems #5  
You need to use a air impact wrench or remove the top engine shrouding and use a flywheel lock. After you get the bolt out of the PTO it still may be tough to get it off the shaft depending on how long its been on there. When you put the PTO back on use some anti-seize on the shaft and the next time it will slide right off.

In the service manual for the current model they added this note.

Note: An impact and socket will be most effective. Otherwise it may be nesessary to block the ring-gear to prevent the crankshaft from turning.

Last edited:
OM, Thanks again. I don't have access to an air impact wrench so I will have to try it from the top.
This is a 2005 model so it has been on there a while. Can't complain too much this is the first major work I have had to do.
Never easy when you don't have the right tools.
Thanks, Freddyt

/ Cub Cadet SLT 1554 Steering problems #7  
I don't know how much room you have under there but you may be able to loosen the bolt by smacking the wrench with a hammer it shouldn't take too much to get it loose.

/ Cub Cadet SLT 1554 Steering problems #8  
I don't have access to an air impact wrench so I will have to try it from the top.

I think these are the models with the belt retainers that are part of the frame, so the recommended procedure it to removed the PTO clutch to repalce the drive belt. That's a lot of work if you ask me, plus the pulley probably isn't going to just slides off the shaft without some encouragement.

Since the drive belt is under tension full time I don't know why they thought they need those silly tabs to hold it on, because the belts not going to come off the pulley.... so, here are your options...

1) Cut off the tabs... I actually did this on a neighbor's mower, they are just 12ga sheet metal that's bent downward from under the motor and at first I tried to bend them out of the way, but that proved less than useful so out came the angle grinder and off them come in about 60 seconds... slipped the new drive belt on and was back in operation in less than a minute... didn't replace the tabs with anything... I told him if the belt comes off we can take some 1" angle iron and sheet metal screw to recreate the tabs and make them removable! But so far that hasn't been needed and that was over 3 mowing seasons ago.

2) Loosen the motor mounting bolts and tip the motor forward... I heard that this will give you barely enough room to slip a new belt on. Still seems like a lot of rigmarole just to replace a belt!

3) Take the PTO off... my neighbor actually was going this route -- after all this is what's listed in the service manual -- but, after soaking the shaft in penetrating oil for days/weeks and putting enough pressure on it with a puller to start distorting it... mind you this was on a tractor that was roughly a year old... so, he thought better of himself and that's when he called me over to take a look at it.

I firmly believe that taking an angle grinder and removing those silly tabs is a perfectly good long-term solution... it certainly makes future drive belt replacements less painful!

BTW his tractor had a standard belt, but the replacement was a kevlar reinforced kind.... which is probably why the first one wore out so quickly... you might check to see if the kevlar variety is available for yours too.

/ Cub Cadet SLT 1554 Steering problems #9  
Freddy, can't help on the steering box issue. Why are you needing to work on it? I have a 2005 SLT1554 that had steering problems a couple of years back. It turned out to be the geared rack on the steering shaft. Couldn't get it removed either. Took it to the repair shop for about a $60 repair.
The belt change shouldn't be a problem. Drop the deck to the lowest setting and remove the two belt guards. From there it should be pretty straightforward. It's been a while, but I think there's a tensioner or idler to back off, then follow the belt layout pattern on the label on the deck.

/ Cub Cadet SLT 1554 Steering problems #10  
Freddy, can't help on the steering box issue. Why are you needing to work on it? I have a 2005 SLT1554 that had steering problems a couple of years back. It turned out to be the geared rack on the steering shaft. Couldn't get it removed either. Took it to the repair shop for about a $60 repair.
The belt change shouldn't be a problem. Drop the deck to the lowest setting and remove the two belt guards. From there it should be pretty straightforward. It's been a while, but I think there's a tensioner or idler to back off, then follow the belt layout pattern on the label on the deck.

I khin he's wanting to change out his groud drive belt rather than the deck drive belt..