CC 1517 Battery Light

/ CC 1517 Battery Light #1  

McCandless

I recently replaced my CC 1517's battery with a Diehard, but noticed that the battery light is lit while the engine is running; then last night the tractor wouldn't start, so I jumped it. The battery light remained on. I suspect the engine is not charging the battery. This has the Kohler engine in it.

So, how can I determine what the problem is? I'm hoping it's the voltage regulator since its external to the motor, otherwise I think I'll have to take it to the shop. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

/ CC 1517 Battery Light #2  
with engine off, voltage across batt posts s/b around 12.5 volts. With engine running full throttle, same voltage s/b >13 vollts. If not, cxharging sys is sick as you suspect. If voltage is better than 13 volts, pull yer new diehard - take it to competent shop for a LOAD test. A fair number of "new" smaller batteries are DOA...

Also make sure your start/charge circuit connections are clean to bright metal with sandpaper, etc. - including chassis ground connections and batt post connections.

/ CC 1517 Battery Light #3  
Here's the troubleshooting guide from the Kohler service manual.
Charging_trouble001.jpg

/ CC 1517 Battery Light
Thanks. As I was troubleshooting it, I found a loose connection in the ground. A little larger screw and it was fixed, thank God. Before I fixed the loose connection the voltage across the battery terminals was 11.85 vDC, afterward it read 13.58 vDC.

Thanks again for the help.

/ CC 1517 Battery Light #5  
sure better than tearing apart an engine, eh? :)

Good luck with your machine.