Zero Turn Steering Fix

/ Zero Turn Steering Fix #1  

GBHRPS

Bronze Member
Tractor
CC Z Force 48
I've had my used Z-Force 48 for two months now and have always found it to be very busy to steer. I'm constantly forced to make steering corrections in order to make the unit mow in a straight line, and on my bumpy property the task is very arm tiring.

It came time this week to check fluids, and grease all of the fittings. While doing the front bogey wheels I discovered that the wheel bearings had been neglected by the previous owner. They flopped side to side inside the supports for the wheel axles, so much so that the side of one tire had rub marks from rubbing up against the wheel support.

After replacing the bearings in both bogey wheels and lubing them up properly, I was amazed at the transformation in the steering of the unit. It tracks so much better and much less steering input is necessary to aim the unit where it needs to go.

If you have a lot of hours on your zero turn, check the slop and lubrication of your front bogey wheel bearings, and replace the bad parts if necessary. Your mower will be so much easier to use if you do.

/ Zero Turn Steering Fix #2  
Good call on the wheel thing GP. My new Z-Force can still be a challenge to keep straight in areas of my lawn that are rock hard and bumpy. I just have to slow way down.

Joel

/ Zero Turn Steering Fix
I agree with you on having to slow down when the going gets bumpy! But taking the slop out of those two front wheels has made steering my machine much more precise and no where near as tiring on my arms.

/ Zero Turn Steering Fix #4  
I have Kubota F front deck mowersand have had a couple of Kubota zero turns. One of the big difference between them is on open fields the Zero turn has to be constantly adjusting direction with sticks but the F as heavy as it tis and being steered with rear wheels is mostly straight on. I currently have the zforce cub cadet with steering wheel and it's cool except for the hard steering and it does have to be corrected more like the zero turns on rough ground at flat out speeds than the F.