GT2523, Mower blades stay engage.

/ GT2523, Mower blades stay engage. #1  

heavy_kevie

I haven't seen this problem posted yet. I have a GT2523 and the mower blades seem to be engaged all the time. When not running, you can hear the PTO click when you engage the PTO switch and click again when you disengage it. When you try to start it the starter turns rather slow (like there is a load on it) and when it idles you can hear the blades turning. Is there an adjustment for the PTO clutch? My old Craftsman had one, or am I looking at a new PTO clutch?

/ GT2523, Mower blades stay engage. #2  
First glance, sounds like a new/rebuilt clutchmay be needed.

To test: engine off. Pull spark plug(s) wires off engine plugs. Push in clutch pedal and start engine. With engine turning over, deck blades/spindles/pulleys/belt should not move.
If they do, dis-connect PTO electric connector right at PTO clutch uder main frame and try again. If anything on the deck still turns with the engine, the PTO clutch is frozen up and needs repair/replace.

/ GT2523, Mower blades stay engage.
Thanx for the advice rcbe, Disconnected the connector to the PTO, removed a spindle cover and engaged the starter. Sure enough, the spindle turns while cranking. Guess I'll have to remove the PTO and see if I can get some new bearings pressed in at an alternator and starter shop nearby if cost effective, if not, time for a new PTO.

/ GT2523, Mower blades stay engage. #5  
yeah- those PTO's are not cheap. Good luck on a brg replacement.

/ GT2523, Mower blades stay engage. #6  
Yeah, That is what my 2518 did when the PTO went. I nearly choked on that bill!

Michael