Another fuel tank issue (E10) - Cub 104

/ Another fuel tank issue (E10) - Cub 104 #1  

mmaliga

Tractor
Case 255
I have an old Cub Cadet 104 with a Kohler K241A.
I am getting flakes of something red in the fuel bowl. Seems the E10 is either eating the paint off of my gas can or creating rust.
Additionally, the fuel that I drain from the filter and the carburetor float have fine black "powder" in them.
Trying to get a new fuel bowl (threads were loose, needle leaked) - Cub Cadet sent in a plastic in-line filter, hose and replacement fittings.
Most likely, I am going to add the in line filter to the bowl, leaving both in place. The "Marine" Sta-Bil does not seem to keep the problems out.

Question: I need to flush the tank. The baffles prevent me from seeing the condition at the ends.
What do I flush it with?
Muriatic acid mix seems extreme, and could cause more trouble than before.
POR-15 and Eastwood have tank sealers, but they seem a bit extreme, too (plastic liner - my last experience with this was not good)
Soap and water (or Simple Green) seem more like degreaser, but probably wouldn't harm anything. As long as it got washed out well.
New tank is $250, which is also extreme. The tank is soldered together in sections, and looks like it would not be fun to disassemble, no less reassemble. Any other ideas on how to get this set up for E-10?

/ Another fuel tank issue (E10) - Cub 104 #2  
I'd clean the effected carbs and tanks, then just make sure you've got big inline fuel filters between the tanks and carbs. Don't bother messing with or replacing the tanks. Maybe it's just luck, but 9 out of 10 stations in my area have had nothing but E10 for 20yrs now. I've never had a problem with it. However, I have fixed gunked up fuel systems for other people, who left E10 gasoline sitting in the tank of that particular piece of equipment for a year or more. I've found it turns to a greenish gel if left for many months/years. If it's a vented tank or storage container (open to atmosphere), E10 will degrade over time. Especially if the pc of equipment is not kept in relatively clean, dry storage. E10 stored in SEALED gas storage cans will last a very long time. Keep the vents and caps on them TIGHT. I've also heard that the 'cleaning ability' of the alcohol will loosen up all ready existing crap in a fuel system.

Joel

/ Another fuel tank issue (E10) - Cub 104 #3  
If you want to clean out the gas tank, just dump some bbs in the tank and move them around that will get the bottom of the tank cleaned out, just make sure you get them all out.