Kohler V twin engine Life

/ Kohler V twin engine Life #1  

GTSRider

Gold Member
Tractor
Cub Cadet 3000
I have a 3000 series with the Kohler 20hp V-twin engine.
How long can these engines last with good maintenance ?
Engine had 400 hrs. when I got it, and I put 55 on it in 3 months.
It uses about 3 oz. every 3-4 hr's .... is this about normal ?
Pete

/ Kohler V twin engine Life #2  
I've seen them with over 2000hrs on them and still running strong. Mine don't use 3-4oz in a year/~30hrs, but oil consumption can depend on how it's used and how hot the ambient temps.

Joel

/ Kohler V twin engine Life #3  
It depends if it's a Kohler command or courage model. I understand the Command lasts about twice as long as the command.

/ Kohler V twin engine Life #4  
It depends if it's a Kohler command or courage model. I understand the Command lasts about twice as long as the command.

Hey, you're not making any sense.

/ Kohler V twin engine Life
Hey....now I'm more confused as ever.
I have the Command 20 hp ....she runs strong.... but I do run it ALWAYS
at full throttle, up hills for 3 hrs straight.....and in the summer hood gets
so hot I can not touch it.
Pete

/ Kohler V twin engine Life #6  
Pete, does it get super hot where you live? Regardless of Kohler's 10w30 spec, I always run 15w40 heavy-duty engine oil in my small air cooled stuff. It will take the heat much better than a regular passenger car 10w30 will and will burn-off less, if not stop the consumption all together. If your scared about extreme cold winter time starting, synthetic 5w40 heavy-duty oil flows better cold than a regular 5w30 does.

In regards to the above statement, the Command series engine is Kohler's "premium / commercial" line, where the Courage is typically "residential grade". I've got a Courage Pro series V-twin on my Z-Force. The only major hardware difference between it and a Command twin is my Courage requires manual valve lash adjustments as opposed to the Command's maint free hydraulic valve lash adjusters. The Courage single cyl are a different bird all together.

Joel

/ Kohler V twin engine Life
Hi Joel ...yes it does get hot here.... plus I mow 3 acres of hilly terrain,
and the oil suggestion is a good one.
I have been thinking of using Shell Rotella 15 /40.
The 10/30 oil is a Tractor Supply oil sold by the gallon.... but I feel the Rotella
will be far superior.
Thanks for your input.
Pete

/ Kohler V twin engine Life #8  
Go to just plain 30 weight,thats what I use in all of mine,,bet you won't use as much or any oil.

/ Kohler V twin engine Life #9  
using straight 30w below 50 degrees can cause the lifters to over pump and hold the valves open causing engine to die and not restart for a few hours while the lifters collapse. Seen mainly on the single cylinder command engines but can occur on the twins also.

/ Kohler V twin engine Life #10  
Well,I only mow grass in warmer temps:D,50 plus,,,,,but,don't think any thing will happen to your motor if you use 30 weight at 45 degrees.