Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tractor
    Cub Cadet Z-Force 44

Default Re: Kohler V twin engine Life

Quote Originally Posted by RANDYT View Post
    using straight 30w below 50 degrees can cause the lifters to over pump and hold the valves open causing engine to die and not restart for a few hours while the lifters collapse. Seen mainly on the single cylinder command engines but can occur on the twins also.
    I've never once had that problem with my Command twins using 5w or 15w40. I have used them with temps in the 20-40degF range (without any issues what so ever), but they are not used for snow removal.

15w40 is actually recommended by Cub Cadet for my Courage Pro V-twin, but that has lock-nut valve adjustment.

Joel
    Tractors of the past:
    2010 Cub Cadet Z-Force 44 fab
    2005 Cub Cadet 2544
    1979 Case 220
    2003 Yard Machines 17hp 42" transmatic (crap-matic)

Tractor
    a used 2004 GT 3235 - had to swap in a new short block

I have a 2004 Kohler Command. At 240 hrs, the rocker arm bolts had loosened-up so much that a intake push rod became disengaged.

The autopsy also revealed:
    - The valve dropped onto the piston
    - the shattered valve guide shrapnel entered BOTH combustion chambers (i.e., the intake from the other side of the engine sucked some bits of sharpnel into the other head).
    - substantial build up of grass BEHIND the cylinder head heat shields.

This is probably a sporadic problem, but I did find posts of others with the same problem I had:
    http://www.mytractorforum.com/showpo...0&postcount=12
    http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=109071
    http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php...3&postcount=15

I suspect the rocker arms were either not torqued to spec and/or no Loctite threadlocker was applied to the rocker arm bolts during assembly.

THE GOOD NEWS:
    Kohler stood behind their product. On my 6 year old engine with 240 hrs, they sent me no-charge a new short block, new head and new gaskets/bolts. I just had to do the labor to rebuild it and transfer the one remaining good head over.

ALSO.. I removed the cylinder head heat shields on both sides (but retained the blower shields around the flywheel, the top heat shield and muffler heat shield). Now grass doesn't get lodged in the heads' cooling fins.

YOU MIGHT WANT TO: remove the cylinder head side heat shields too and vacuum the grass out.

SEPARATELY, BUT RELATED... On the earlier Commands (late 1990s and very early 2000s) there was a headbolt recall too.

OVERALL, I wouldn't hestitate to buy another Kohler Command engine. These Kohler Commands are stout machines
    I'm amazed mine was still powering the tractor even though one cylinders intake & exhaust rocker arm bolts were substantially unscrewed resulting in bad valve timing and very little valve function.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Cub Cadet 3000

Jim....thanks for sharing !
    Pete

Tractor
    Mitsubishi MTE2000D, Dig It 258 Backhoe

I have seen 2000+ hrs on many of the Command engines. I did unfortunately just have a new CH20 shortblock engine that completely disintegrated on me with just a hundred hrs or so. It's a long story but I had bought a JD F680used from an individual that just had his Deere dealer install the shortblock and he was never satisfied with the outcome and out of frustration sold the mower. Like him, I couldn't prove if it was a Kohler issue or dealer issue and didn't pursue it....I just replaced it with a CH 670 spec'ed for a Cub and it runs like a top now.
    Darryl

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Cub Cadet 3000

Hi...where did you get the engine from ?
    Thanks.
    Pete

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12