1541 cub cadet, no spark

/ 1541 cub cadet, no spark #1  

harleyizy

Bronze Member
Tractor
GTX2154LE
Just brought home my new "Deal". Found a 1541 on c.l. with just a little over 600 hrs. on the meter. Body pieces are cherry. one small minor crack inside of nose, no big deal. All bosses are good, not broken. All decals are gone except for the "1541" on side panels. Not a tear in seat. Front tires are checked but look like they will hold air. Rear tires look like new. Now the bad news. No spark to either plugs. I suspect a bad ignition module or flywheel. Engine turns over real well. Anyone have any suggestions? I would like to get it running and use it as the "beater" around the house this spring. Oh by the way, i only paid $300.00 for the tractor.

Last edited:
   / 1541 cub cadet, no spark #2  
Hey Harley,

Is that a Kohler Magnum?
If it is, there is a wire exiting the sheet metal by the flywheel that grounds the module, killing spark. In some cases you can unplug or cut that and if you still have no spark, the module is dead. The schematic should show that lead going back to the igition switch, where the grounding takes place.

Just my opinion.

Good luck,
Curt

/ 1541 cub cadet, no spark
thanks curt. yes, it is a magnum "15" kohler engine. i'll pull out my schematics out to see if i can find the wire that you are talking about. i'm hoping that it is a loose wire, if i am lucky. they did have a receipt for a new ignition switch. i just hate to invest in a new module for $100.00 or so and find out that the old one was ok. i am just a shade tree mechanic.

/ 1541 cub cadet, no spark #4  
Harley,

I've replaced three of them, one in an 1860 Cub and two in two different 1872's.
If I remember correctly, it's a single green wire coming through a grommet that the plug wires come through. On the tractors above, the wire connected to a harness on the left side. If all else fails, you could just cut it. If you still have no spark, the module is bad, if spark returns, that ground is faulted somewhere.

I think the ground goes back to the ignition switch where it gets grounded to kill the engine.

These are often intermittent, the tractor will start, but when the module heats up, a winding opens up and you lose spark.

You'll need to pull the motor to replace it, if that's the problem.
It's time consuming, but not that hard.

Good luck.

Curt

thanks again curt, you always point me in the right direction. this looks like a spring time repair. considering the tractor right now is under a tarp and 2 feet of snow. although not as bad here as it is in other areas of upstate new york. as i had said, this will be my beater around the house and it will save hours on my other 1541 that was recently rebuilt. i plan on making that one real nice.

Took a look at the cub yesterday. Thought I found the problem with a loose wire but that was not it. I pulled out my schematics and cannot find a green wire as Ohioguy suggested. I posted an image of my schematics. Needless to say, I am not an electrician.

Attachments

• 1541.jpg
    1541.jpg
    997 KB · Views: 4,459
   / 1541 cub cadet, no spark #7  
On your schematic the wire color is yellow going from the "M" terminal on the switch to the magneto.

thank you. so, if i disconnect or cut that wire, i should get spark if the ground is not faulted, correct? if i still do not get spark then the module is kaput, right?

/ 1541 cub cadet, no spark #9  
Yes, as long as that wire is not grounded anywhere along its length, the flywheel magnets are good and the gap(.012"-.016") to the flywheel is correct when the magnets pass the module you should have spark with a good module.