Cub Cadet GT 2550

/ Cub Cadet GT 2550 #1  

Bruces715

Tractor
New Holland TC33D, Cub Cadet GT 2550, Scotts 1642
Hello, I am new to Tractor By Net. I just purchased a Cub Cadet GT 2550, 2010 model year. It was a floor model left from 2010 and on sale. I have never owned a Cub Cadet product before and would be interested in hearing from other owners about the pros and cons of the model 2550. I have read the manual and intend on doing all maintenance as outlined. My previous (still have) mower was a Scotts, made by John Deere, 16 h.p. Kohler Command, 42" cut. This mower has been trouble free for 8 years, but I wanted something with a wider cut and am hoping I purchased a good reliable machine. I mow approx. 2 acres.

Thank You

/ Cub Cadet GT 2550 #2  
Welcome! You got a great machine there. I recall from shopping that real good deals can be had on left over models from around Jan-March. Read up on 2500 series setup, maintenance, etc.. for all kinds of good info. The 50" is a nice size. I had the 44" on my 2544 and the deck doesn't protrude past the wheel base unless you go 50 or 54". The 44" makes it tough for close trimming work. Then I went and did it again with the 44" on my Z-Force!@#$

Joel

/ Cub Cadet GT 2550 #3  
About the only thing I would add to what the manual says about maintenance is to blow out whatever grass clipping collect in the engine fan shroud and the transmission fan. This is true for any tractor, but with the open hood design of the 2500's, you might find you get more clippings collecting inside the fan shroud or engine cooling fins that what you are used to.

/ Cub Cadet GT 2550 #4  
Another thing to be mindful of is the ratty plastic oil drain fitting (assuming it didn't get changed for 2010), which has a nasty habit of leaking. There's several threads here on how to pipe up a replacement.

/ Cub Cadet GT 2550 #5  
Another thing to be mindful of is the ratty plastic oil drain fitting (assuming it didn't get changed for 2010), which has a nasty habit of leaking. There's several threads here on how to pipe up a replacement.

True, although I think they added a nipple and elbow to the ~2006+ to make things a tad friendlier. 2005 and earlier are a nightmare.

Joel

/ Cub Cadet GT 2550 #6  
Long time lurker, first time poster....

I have a 2007 model 2550. So far I've had very few problems. My biggest problem was an electrical issue. When the tractor was new it would blow one of the ignition fuses and die. I kept replacing fuses until I noticed one of the wires supplying current to the headlights was low enough that when the tractor was on a side of a hill it would shift and allow the wire to contact the heat shield above the motor. It had melted the insulation and whenever the wire touched.... bang, there went the fuse. I secured the wire to the top of the hood. Problem solved.

Second problem. The original hood broke off. I was mighty pi$$ed but the dealer replaced it even though it had just gone out of warranty.

Other than that it's been a great tractor. Mows great, runs great. I mow about 1 1/2 acres and have about 100 hours on her. If I needed another tractor I'd go this route again, but Cub has made that impossible as they have changed their lawn/garden tractor series yet again.

/ Cub Cadet GT 2550
Thanks for your input, do you have a problem with the two bolts on the back underside of the deck digging into your sod. I have pretty hilly property and sometime those bolts will dig up the sod pretty good. Otherwise it mows good and I like the mower only have 21 hours on it.

Thanks

/ Cub Cadet GT 2550 #8  
Hi Bruce, we have a 2550 with close to 250 hrs and it's been a good mower. I've made a lot of mods to suit our desire for a close fairway cut...now I'm very happy with it.

Couple of things besides the good advice above, always use your hand to guide the hood to the upright position. Also if you have a press fit oil stick with a rubber 'O' ring
3698599048_9b3a585133_m.jpg
I'd replace that with something more conventional screw cap like this...
4715473830_09245e001d_m.jpg

Also a lot of use shell rotella 15-40...it's very good.

EDIT What bolts are you talking about that dig in the grass? Can you post a pic? That's a new one to me...thanks

/ Cub Cadet GT 2550 #9  
Thanks for your input, do you have a problem with the two bolts on the back underside of the deck digging into your sod. I have pretty hilly property and sometime those bolts will dig up the sod pretty good. Otherwise it mows good and I like the mower only have 21 hours on it.

Thanks

I also am confused about these "bolts" .......sure there not a couple of wheels supposed to be attached to those bolts?

/ Cub Cadet GT 2550
Thanks for the info, where did you get the scew on oil cap adapter? Those bolts on on the bottom side of the deck in the middle, I think they attach a pulley for the belt. The threaded end and the nuts hang down approx. 3/4". I looked on Cub Cadet parts diagram and it shows it that way. I looked at 2011 models with a 50" deck at the dealers and they do not have them. I will have to ask the dealer service people about it.

Thanks again
Bruce