HELP!! PLEASE!!

/ HELP!! PLEASE!! #1  

sgnl zero

Tractor
2005 cub cadet z force 50
needing any help on my 2005 cub cadet z-force zero turn mower. it recently began acting up. here is the problem. after i crank the mower up, the rear wheels automatically begin to spin in reverse. i have to quickly disingage the brake while sitting on it and pull the steering arms in to keep it from auto reversing. surely its an adjustment however i didnt want to just start fooling around with it without proper advise. thanks in advance:confused2:

/ HELP!! PLEASE!! #3  
sgnl zero,

That must be a pretty exciting start up!

I don't have a great deal of experience with zero turning mowers as I have just newly acquired my first one last season. I'm sure someone with more knowledge than I will jump in to correct or add additional info.

Your problem seems to be the adjustments to the hydro units from your control arms. Below the frame of the main unit, you'll find that each control arm is attached to a rod that goes back to a lever on the hydro unit. I suspect that yours are out of adjustment.

At each end of the rod is a lock nut, that when loosened off, allows you to lengthen or shorten the rod by turning the rod itself.

First remove your deck, and raise your unit up so that you can work under it SAFELY, and with the drive wheels off the ground. You'll have to experiment with finding the correct length for the rods on each side of the tractor. Try a setting, sit on the tractor with the control arms in the correct neutral position, etc., and start the tractor. When you find the setting that stops the drive wheel from moving, tighten the lock nuts on that rod. Do the same on the other side of the tractor.

Lastly, set the tractor back on the ground and test drive it, before you remount the deck. Good Luck!

/ HELP!! PLEASE!! #4  
Last edited:
   / HELP!! PLEASE!! #5  
The neutral and tracking adjustment is in the operators manual. I uploaded the Z Force 50 manual here CubCadet_Z-Force50_Manual.pdf

If yours is a different model you download yours from MTD here Operator's Manuals You'll need the model and serial number from under the seat to get the right one.

I also uploaded the Z Force service manual here Cub_Cadet_Z-Force_Series_Zero_Turn_Service_Repair_Manual_2.pdf

This guy "OldMachinist" is god when it comes to the Cub mower questions, so let'em fly. How's that for putting you on a pedestal? You've help me immensely with info on this site.

Steve