LT1050 - Will not start

/ LT1050 - Will not start #1  

monicamarcotte

Tractor
Cub Cadet LT1050
I have an LT1050 Cub Cadet riding mower that won't start. It has been sitting in the garage for about 5 months.
We have had the battery checked and it is good.
The solenoid, starter and ignition coil are good.
We replaced the spark plugs.
It still won't start. It cranks, and the motor turns a couple of times, then acts like it is locked up. Without the spark plugs in, the motor turns freely. I have been told to check the safety switches, but not sure what I am looking for. PLEASE HELP!

/ LT1050 - Will not start #2  
If it cranks with the key its not going to be any safety switch's I don't think it is most like ly a fuel problem imho and draining out the old and put in new is where I would start.

I have over did the Stabil before (gas treatment) and had mowers not start in spring for no apparent reason until I put all new gas in is it something you may have done last fall? hth

/ LT1050 - Will not start #3  
I have an LT1050 Cub Cadet riding mower that won't start. It has been sitting in the garage for about 5 months.
We have had the battery checked and it is good.
The solenoid, starter and ignition coil are good.
We replaced the spark plugs.
It still won't start. It cranks, and the motor turns a couple of times, then acts like it is locked up. Without the spark plugs in, the motor turns freely. I have been told to check the safety switches, but not sure what I am looking for. PLEASE HELP!
---------------------------------------------------------------------
If your lawn tractor has an over head valve briggs engine the valves may need adjusting to allow the compression relief to work as designed. If you have access to a DC amp meter of the correct value, it can be clamped around the positive starter cable to test amp draw. Normal amp draw is usually around 100 amps but can increase to as much as 300 amps (or maximum battery amps) with the conditions you describe.

/ LT1050 - Will not start #4  
Check that no critters(mice, wasps and spiders) have built a nest in the muffler and it's plugged up because it sounds like back pressure is building up and stopping it.

/ LT1050 - Will not start
Gas? Can't believe I forgot that! Geez.
Come on. I would not have bothered to create an account, register on this forum, go back to my email, wait for an authorization from the site, come back to the site, login AGAIN, get all my ducks in a row before I bothered to post a question if I was stupid enough not to put gas in the tank.
For those that were big enough to help, my utmost gratitude. It was the valve clearance. I had to get a feeler gauge and adjust the rocker nut to .04 on the intake and .06 on the exhaust. Put it back together, (had to jump it off), and it started right up.
Appreciate the help! Will recommend your forum. Thanks!

/ LT1050 - Will not start #7  
You may as well consider valve adjustment as routine maintenance on those briggs engines. I even go a little tighter than spec.