cub cadet 122 rebuild

/ cub cadet 122 rebuild #1  

georgia plow boy

Bronze Member
I just had my 1966 cub cadet engine rebuilt its a k301 it was completely rebuilt with some machine work also done head shaved. carb rebuilt new belt. its running good. not complaining just curious it cost a good bit more than I thought it would . I looked up master rebuild kit , cam shaft, curb kit. But my total price was $550. I had a 801 power master ford tractor rebuilt 2 yrs ago and replaced a head and it was only $750.oo my question is . Is that a good price for a rebuild or should I be looking for a new lawn mower shop to do my business with

/ cub cadet 122 rebuild #2  
Don't know about the rebuild costs, but some times parts for the older machines get hard to come by and become more expensive the harder they are to get. I think I paid $96 for 4 new motor mounts and $50 for a new muffler on my 1450 and this was probably over 10 years ago. I used to have 2 Cub Cadet dealers within a 1/2 hr of me, but now there are none.

Good Luck, wouldn't mind seeing some pics. I hope to restore my grandfathers Cub 123 someday. :thumbsup:

/ cub cadet 122 rebuild #3  
If you want to know if it was a good deal or not, list your part prices, labor cost, pick up delivery fee, tax. Then people can make a fair judgement on your bill.

/ cub cadet 122 rebuild #4  
doesn't sound too bad to me. i had a kohler m18s rebuilt and cost $1800.00. about the price of a new one. lot more complicated engine but my feeling is if it is repaired correctly and it has no issues, consider it a good investment. it should last for years now.

/ cub cadet 122 rebuild
I would post some pic If I knew how

/ cub cadet 122 rebuild
003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

/ cub cadet 122 rebuild
If you want to know if it was a good deal or not, list your part prices, labor cost, pick up delivery fee, tax. Then people can make a fair judgement on your bill.
Well a master rebuild kit is about 120, cam shaft is around 100 , carb kit around 30 , belt around 25, These are prices that came off the net, heads shaved not sure or labor delivery and pick up was done by me and not trying to be smart or anything, But if I knew what you were asking I wouldn't need other people to determine if I got a fair price or not. If I would have took it to a dealer I would have expected to pay $550.00 or more but keep in mind this was done by. as we call them shade tree mechanic. He is good but no fancy shop no overhead no certificates no insurance. dirt floor shop in back yard