1250 Manual? Steering is Loose

/ 1250 Manual? Steering is Loose #1  

reedbr

Tractor
Cub Cadet 1250
I've got very loose steering on my 1250. Where can I get a manual to figure out what needs to be replaced or adjusted? The tie rod ends seem to be OK. I've also got a leaking hydrostatic transmission. According to some helpful information here, I need to check my vent caps first. I assume that is under the tranny hump under the console, but again a manual would be nice. I've got to get this thing ready to mow!

/ 1250 Manual? Steering is Loose #2  
You can Find manuals on the net. I would check E-Bay first.

/ 1250 Manual? Steering is Loose #3  
I uploaded the service manual you need here GSS-1464.pdf
It covers the 86, 108, 109, 128, 129, 149, 169, 800, 1000, 1200, 1250, 1450 and 1650 models.

/ 1250 Manual? Steering is Loose
You are my hero. I can now RTFM.

After taking the transmission cover off (aka frame cover) and cleaning things up. I can see the driveshaft slinging oil at the charge pump. I guess that means the charge pump lip seal (2-43) is to blame.

I also wiggled the tie rod ends some. I will amend my prior statement. They have more play in them than they should, but the still don't appear to be the major culprit.

Now I need to find a parts source.

/ 1250 Manual? Steering is Loose
Great! Thanks again.

/ 1250 Manual? Steering is Loose #7  
The play is probably in the steering box itself, along with the tie rod ends. There is adjustment to the box, you will find this in the manual. Sometimes, removal of the steering box and steering column from the tractor and rebuilding it is the only way to clean up the play if its beyond adjustment. The shaft seal is an easy fix once you have the rag joint coupler removed from the pump shaft. I would replace the rag joints while your in there and make sure the iso mounts that dampen engine vibration are not shot. If those are shot they will destroy rag joints, pump seals and other things. Typical issue with the Quietline series of Cub Cadets. I have a 1650 and a 1250 myself. Mike