Hi all new to the cub cadet site

/ Hi all new to the cub cadet site #1  

duckhunter27

Gold Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT 335
Been on the bob cat site for awhile looking for a new mower and been looking at cub cadets looking at the RZT 54 with the Kaw motor for about 3,600. and looking at a Z force 54 inch with Kohler and a steering wheel for about 4,700 anyone have any input good or bad or which mower would be best I have about 2 acres to mow thanks Vince

/ Hi all new to the cub cadet site #2  
Hello Vince,

Normally I'd steer you away from the RZT series due to the issues I've read of over the years with respect to the ligher-duty Hydro-Gear brand EZT drives they use, but it looks like for 2011, Cub is putting the ZT-2800 series drives on the RZT 54". The 2800's are fully serviceable with spin-on filters. Kawi's are top of the line engines as well. I've read that they're not rebuildable anymore due to crank bearing design, but I'm not sure if that's true or not. There's not much that you can rebuild anymore anyway.

I'm very happy with my 2010 model year Z-Force 44". They discontinued the fab'd 44" this year and went with the 48" for the smallest. If I were you, I'd seriously consider the Z-Force 48" for your needs. You definitely don't need 54" for 2 acres.

Joel

/ Hi all new to the cub cadet site
Hi Joel
Thanks this is the kind of input im looking for I will check and see if the dealer has a 48 inch Z-force. What about the steering wheel verses lap bars any input on that? I have never mowed with a zero turn so dont know what i need.

/ Hi all new to the cub cadet site #4  
The things I didn't like about the wheeled models are; They used the lighter EZT drives, the tires/wheels were smaller and the front axle doesn't pivot. It's solid mounted. On top of that, there's a lot more moving parts on the steering wheel models. Lab-bar machines have a lot fewer parts.

Really, the only complaint I have with my Z-Force is it's very LOUD. The Courage V-twin engine is real smooth and quiet and the drives are smooth and quiet, but these new fab'd series decks without exaggeration, sound like a bayou fan boat. My 2544 was much quieter.

Joel

By the spec sheets they gave me the 48 in Z-force s uses the Dual EZT drives the 54 in Z-force s uses the dual hydro-gear ZT 2800 drive and the Z force 48 lab bar model has dual hydro gear and trade ZT 2800 not sure what all that means

/ Hi all new to the cub cadet site #6  
Correct, the RZT54 and Z-Force (lap bar) line use the same upgraded ZT-2800 drives. It looks like Hydro-Gear calls the beginner model the ZT-2100 and the EZT the 2200 now. Here's info on the drives: Hydro-Gear - Products

Joel

/ Hi all new to the cub cadet site #7  
Good morning,

I have an RZT 50 (600 hrs) and I just bought a Z-Force S 54 (2 hrs).
I mow about 4 acres with very little of it flat.

I've only mowed once with the S54 so my comments may be a little premature.

Pro: The the S54's front wheel steering makes it super stable on my hilly yard. I mean this is a night and day difference, what an improvement.

Pro: There is less wheel damage to the grass with the rear wheels controlled by the steering box (maybe I'm too aggressive on the RTZ?).

Pro: S54 seems to be a little faster.

Pro: S54 blade speed also seems faster for a nicer cut.

Pro: Cautionary Reverse cutting switch allows a temporary manual override of the reverse PTO cut off.

Con: (minor) The seat PTO cut off is too sensitive. A bounce from a small bump will trigger the PTO cut off.

Con: On steep slopes the engine gets swamped with oil causing blow-by. I may have to modify my mowing route to avoid this but the RZT had no problems with the old route. I'm waiting on a response from the dealer on this issue.

Con: It's a little pricey at $4799.

The front wheels can steer over 180 degrees and I have noticed that trying to turn on a hill can cause the front wheels to take a lot of force. We'll see how they hold up.

Hope this helps!

Good morning rbobbitt
Thanks for your input and yes it helps alot every bit of info a guy can get helps pick the right mower. I did some checking about what size i needed and most people i talked with agreed with Joel that i did not need a 54 in to mow 2 acres. So i started looking at the 48 in and i found a big dif in the Z-force 48 lap bar and the Z-force S 48 steering wheel so i think im leaning toward the Z-force 48 in lap bar model. If anyone has more info to help me make the right choice pls join in. I will keep checking back not sure when im going to pull the trigger its snowing here today lol but it will be soon i hope. Thanks agian Vince

/ Hi all new to the cub cadet site #9  
Con: On steep slopes the engine gets swamped with oil causing blow-by. I may have to modify my mowing route to avoid this but the RZT had no problems with the old route. I'm waiting on a response from the dealer on this issue...

What engine do you have on your S 54? Reason I ask is the Kohler Courage Pro 20 V-twin on my ZForce will blast out a MASSIVE blue cloud of oil smoke on certain inclines if I do just the 'right' maneuver.

I do know that vertical shaft OHV engines are super sensitive to proper oil level, so I could be slightly on the over-full side, causing this issue. On some of them, you definitely don't want to exceed half way between the "add" and "full" on the stick, or even be a little towards the add side even.

Joel

/ Hi all new to the cub cadet site #10  
I will keep checking back not sure when im going to pull the trigger its snowing here today lol but it will be soon i hope. Thanks agian Vince

Vince, for a new machine, you really can't go wrong for the price. They're heavy beasts and made pretty well for the $. Are they the best ZTR? No way. Higher end commercial units will ride, handle and hold up better, especially over rougher terrain. But you're going to pay a lot more.

There's not a lot of up/down movement allowed for the cutting decks on the Cubs. This can make the deck lock itself into the fully upright 'travel' position if you're not careful. I had to raise the rear deck rollers on my fab'd 44 up and out of the way on mine to prevent this from happening. Otherwise the deck would ride on the ground and get bounced up to the locked position on the foot pedal adjuster.

Joel