Cub RZT 50 - Not starting but starter turns???

/ Cub RZT 50 - Not starting but starter turns??? #1  

ChanceG

Tractor
Cub Cadet RZT 50
Hello

This is my first post and hope its in the appropriate forum.

I have a Cub RZT 50 and have cut the grass a couple of times this year already. But today, I tried to start it and the engine would not turn over but I can hear the starter turning over but not the motor trying to crank. I have went thru to make sure everything was in order and it was. Arms were in neutral, park on, pto switch off, battery has good charge, everything that I can think of. The only thing out of the norm I can think of is we had some SEVERE storm for about a week and the mover did sit out on covered in the weather. I dont know if this matters or not. It has always sit outside uncovered with no problem before. Please help!!

Chance

/ Cub RZT 50 - Not starting but starter turns??? #2  
Clean the battery cables on both ends. It sounds like its just not getting enough juice to the starter.

/ Cub RZT 50 - Not starting but starter turns??? #3  
Mine did the same thing. I would try to start it and the engine either wouldn't turn over or would barely turn 1/2 revolution and that's it. I could take the spark plug out and it would turn over freely. I went through all the normal hassles...battery, solenoid, looking for shorts/grounds, rebuilding the starter, etc, etc, etc... It seemed like the starter was dragging.

ADJUST THE VALVES!!! I have the B/S engine (17hp) on my RZT42. Any OHV engines give owners more problems with improperly adjusted valves than you can imagine. My case was the rockers were both waaay too loose and were not opening the valves, almost like a vapor lock situation but nothing was getting in or out of the combustion chamber. I adjusted the valves to the correct setting and have had no issues since. Starts every time.

Not saying this is definitely your problem, but it is a common one people overlook.

/ Cub RZT 50 - Not starting but starter turns??? #4  
Hello

This is my first post and hope its in the appropriate forum.

I have a Cub RZT 50 and have cut the grass a couple of times this year already. But today, I tried to start it and the engine would not turn over but I can hear the starter turning over but not the motor trying to crank. I have went thru to make sure everything was in order and it was. Arms were in neutral, park on, pto switch off, battery has good charge, everything that I can think of. The only thing out of the norm I can think of is we had some SEVERE storm for about a week and the mover did sit out on covered in the weather. I dont know if this matters or not. It has always sit outside uncovered with no problem before. Please help!!

Chance

that (and other similar units) mower is NOT designed to "sit out in the weather". The electrical system in particular is not weatherproofed at connection points and is a prime candidate for rust/corrosion - cause of myriad functional problems,
yer current prob could be valve adj if that's a briggs OHV in yer machine..OTW, likely a corroded contact reducing battery power to starter...