1641 PTO won't disengage

/ 1641 PTO won't disengage #1  

Jeffrey Fordell

Tractor
Cub Cadet 1641
Hi all.. I cut my lawn today then aerated in anticipation of rain.
As I was finishing, the mower blades began to spin on their own without me engaging the PTO. Just prior to engaging, I heard a squealing from the front of the machine. PTO switch will not shut the PTO down, and after shutting down the tractor, I restarted it, but the "disengage PTO" light is on, the tractor labors to start and the blades spin.
I've read some posts, I plan to disconnect the PTO to see if blades still spin on start up. I fear I will be replacing the PTO. I know they run about $400. I am wondering if replacing the PTO is a job I can do. I have air tools, but wonder what the method of replacing the PTO is.
Also, if anyone has a lead on a less expensive PTO resource please share.

Thanks for your advice in advance.

Last edited:
   / 1641 PTO won't disengage #2  
Replacing the clutch is just a matter of removing the belt, retaining bolt and sliding the clutch off the shaft. As long as you have a impact wrench removing the PTO retaining bolt won't be a problem but depending on how long the clutch has been on the shaft and if someone put some anti-seize on the shaft getting the old one off may take some time. The best price is $152.95 for a new clutch part #917-3389
from here www.psep.biz/store/cub_cadet_electric_pto_clutch.htm
Make sure you use anti-seize on the shaft and bolt when installing.

/ 1641 PTO won't disengage
Thank you Sir! I ordered the PTO clutch from the site you suggested. Hopefully removing it will not be a problem, and I will use anti-sieze as you suggest. Do you happen to know the torque for the retaining bolt? Thanks again.

/ 1641 PTO won't disengage #4  
The manuals say to torque it to 38-50 foot lbs. but unless you use a flywheel lock there's no way to torque it. I normally just run the bolt back in with a 3/8" drive impact with it set in the mid range. The washer may be a belleville spring washer and needs to go back on the same direction.

/ 1641 PTO won't disengage
Thanks again OM.... I removed the PTO..new one is in route. PTO has less than 300 hours since it was last replaced. Not sure how this may have happened, but I suspect that because I was running the tractor for a few hours and it was hot and dry outside. Mowing conditions were dry and there was dust being thrown up by the mower deck. Should I lube this bearing at all to prevent this from happening again? Can and would it be worthwhile to have the bearing replaced?
Thanks again for all your advice. You're a good man.
PS. I'll post a picture of the PTO with the pinched bearing if I can figure out how it's done.

Attachments

• IMG_0038.jpg
    IMG_0038.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 346
   / 1641 PTO won't disengage #6  
The bearings are sealed there's no easy way to relube. As far as replacing the bearing most of them are OEM only since the OD is metric and the ID is inch. Yours looks like it might have a adapter sleeve in so if you can get a standard size bearing it is possible to replace it. The OD of the bearing will be pressed in the bore and likely staked.
After you have the new PTO installed and before you put the belt on do this break in procedure.

PTObreakin.jpg