GT2544 PTO Clutch

/ GT2544 PTO Clutch #1  

Captain Ned

Bronze Member
Managed to find a branch which stopped the deck cold and snapped the deck belt. Now, PTO won't engage. I can hear the solenoid/relay click, but that's it. Since I can't find the service manual, what's my fault tree?

Thanks in advance.

/ GT2544 PTO Clutch #2  
Check to see that the key didn't shear.

/ GT2544 PTO Clutch
I did find a blown 5A fuse. I'm sorta hoping that's the cure. PTO pulley does not spin free, so the key isn't sheared. My guess/hope is that the deck belt snapping saved upstream damage.

EDIT: A new deck belt and a new fuse and all is well.

Last edited:
   / GT2544 PTO Clutch
Glad you got it resolved.

Not so resolved, as I snapped the deck belt again yesterday in 4-5" grass. Guess I need to check the spindles and make sure everything's aligned properly.

/ GT2544 PTO Clutch #7  
My across the street neighbor snapped the deck belt on his beast of a (Garden Way built) Troy Bilt tractor just before he was going to lend me the tractor! Same thing. A good 6" of thick grass. When he picked up a replacement belt the counter guy said he sold at least a dozen PTO and/or deck belts for various machines today alone. It seems like it's more the mowing conditions.

/ GT2544 PTO Clutch
My across the street neighbor snapped the deck belt on his beast of a (Garden Way built) Troy Bilt tractor just before he was going to lend me the tractor! Same thing. A good 6" of thick grass. When he picked up a replacement belt the counter guy said he sold at least a dozen PTO and/or deck belts for various machines today alone. It seems like it's more the mowing conditions.
Well, I hope the replacements on order will work with the deck at max height. I tried to tame the dandelion beasts with the push mower and that was an instant no-go. Heck, when I snapped the last one I was taking maybe a 10" cut on a 44" deck.

By the time the ground dries out, the side hill will be unmowable.

/ GT2544 PTO Clutch #9  
For my future reference where did you find that 5A fuse that was blown??TIA.

/ GT2544 PTO Clutch
For my future reference where did you find that 5A fuse that was blown??TIA.

There's two blade-type fuseholders on wires sticking out of the backside of the instrument panel sort of hanging over the battery. There isn't much slack so you'll need to stick your head under the hood.