how to change a pto clutch on a 2155 cub cadet.

/ how to change a pto clutch on a 2155 cub cadet. #1  

Donnie55

Tractor
cub cadet 2155
I've was mowing & stop for awhile and went back to cut again,put the pto on for the deck & it didn't come on the first time,but I push it in & out again and it came on.Since then about 2 weeks later,I started the tractor and then went to put the pto on and it did not come on at all. I've changed the switch and checked the 2 fuses,now I wondering how to change the pto clutch.Can you tell me how or did I overlook something.:confused:

/ how to change a pto clutch on a 2155 cub cadet. #2  
First I 'd check the wiring connector at the PTO to make it got a good connection. Then I'd check to make it's getting voltage from the switch. If those check out OK then replace the clutch. Not to bad of a job if you have a impact wrench to get the bolt out.

The hood, side panels and muffler need to be removed to get to the PTO.

Unplug the electrical connector

Using impact wrench remove bolt holding clutch to crankshaft

Pull clutch off shaft noting which direction the spacer behind goes on

There may also be a bolt or stud that keeps the clutch plate from spinning that needs to be removed depending on which engine you have.

Reverse the order to reassemble using anti-sieze compound on the crankshaft and the attaching bolt.

/ how to change a pto clutch on a 2155 cub cadet. #3  
I had the exact same problem, which eventually led to my tractor not being able to start at all. What it turned out to be was the harness that attached to the pto switch. One of the female parts inside the harness was busted, and therefore not making a good contact to complete a circuit for the tractor to start.

Unfortunately, in order to replace the harness, you had to buy the whole wireing bundle, which was like $90. I ended up just cutting the broken connecter out of the harness, cutting off the bad connector, crimping on a good connecter, and plugging it in. Has worked great.

Hope this helps

Fabian

/ how to change a pto clutch on a 2155 cub cadet. #4  
As the Oldmachinist said check the voltage and make sure the "Battery has plenty of oomph" a weak battery will create those symptoms
Also look on the Cub Cadet / Yanmar thread there is a bloke on there with a similar problem and they found the source and fixed

Last edited: