New Kohler Command 20 HP Cub Cadet

/ New Kohler Command 20 HP Cub Cadet #11  
Leo I use Shell Rotella I think it's 15-40 and still looks clean at 50hrs. A lot of the small tractor guys use it...it's highly regarded.

As far as the over heating goes... this is my experience as long as your running along mowing the engine is being air cooled. Heat build up can and did warp engine cowlings when they were shut down and static.

Since I read about one catching fire I always raise the hood on mine when I turn it off. Also once a week or more depending on the pollen count I'll hose down the engine with compressed air, blow out the air cleaner too.

You'll be alright, enjoy your tractor.

/ New Kohler Command 20 HP Cub Cadet
Thanks for your reply. I think all of the newer engines run hotter. Currently, I run mine at full throttle while mowing and then when I finish mowing, I open the hood and let it run at 1/2 throttle while running my leaf blower on the engine for 2 or 3 minutes for a good cool-down before shutting the engine off. So far, I have not detected any "hot smell" from the engine at all. The engine itself seems to have quite a bit of cowling around it and will need to be kept well maintained and clean to have a reasonable life and keep the overheating from being a problem. Between my leaf blower and air compressor, it should not be a problem. I sure do love my "CUB".

Leo

/ New Kohler Command 20 HP Cub Cadet #13  
Hey Leo let me ask you about that leaf blower. Do you use it to blow the grass off the top of your deck...is it strong enough to do that?

That's one of the few toys I don't have because I'm not a leaf raker, we jsut cut 'em up here.

However in another forum I read where quite a few guys use their leaf blowers to blow dust of their engines the way we might use canned air to clean the dust from the inside of our computers.

I can't imagine a leaf blower having more concentrated force that an air compressor but truthfully... I dunno. So what's the skinny on that? Thanks

Hello Savage:
I call it a "leaf blower". Mine is "hand held" not the "back pack" and I use it also to blow my concrete drive ways after cutting grass as well as keeping my porches free of leaves and dust. Mine is 170 MPH Wind Speed (2 cycle gas) "at the tip" and yes it will clean cutting decks of the grass in just a minute. I blow off the entire tractor with it and also clear the fan screens along with cooling down the enigne (2 or 3 minutes with the tractor engine running at 1/2 throttle) after a hard run. It works great. If you don't want to get another gas product to deal with, they make some 110 volt electrics that are powerful also (don't purchase battery operated, not enough volume ) from the big box stores. The 110 volt electrics are $50 to $60 and gas "hand held" can go anywhere from $115 up to $200 or so. I would get the highest "wind speed" I could get for the money I wanted to spend. I also use my air comressor for blowing off the tight areas of the tranny and other areas that may not be as accessible with the leaf blower. 90% of the time, I don't even have to get the air compressor as the leaf blower does the job. The leaf blower will not have the "concentrated force" of an air compressor but the total "volume" of air from the leaf blower is more than adequate to do the job. The leaf blower is a "must have" for me.

Take Care
Leo

/ New Kohler Command 20 HP Cub Cadet #15  
Savage - Ditto Leo's comments on leaf blower. I have/use one all the time - an electric 120v rig - has plenty of cleaning power for all parts of the tractor.
If you should look at 'em in the stores, chk for highest CFM amoungst the offerings.

/ New Kohler Command 20 HP Cub Cadet #16  
have been converting everything over to synthetic. Using Castol's edge, all syn oil. 10-30 so far. After talking with local oil service guy, I'm gonna give it a try. CC 1045 will be next at end of summer.

/ New Kohler Command 20 HP Cub Cadet #17  
I purchased a 2084 Cub Cadet in 1993. Brought it home mowed the yard one time and changed the oil to Mobil 1. Has mowed the yard at least one time a week in the summer every since. The governor malfunctioned one time and it really got hot. The synthetic oil in my opinion saved the engine. If you have an old hot plate and two old pans, put regular oil in one pan and synthetic oil in the other and set the pans on the hot plate, watch the oil and see which one you think will perform best in an engine that runs on the hot side.

Gator: Thanks for the reply. I am giving that some serious thought. I will probably wait until break-in is done, 50 hours or so. I do think the synthetics have a lot of value.

Take Care
Leo

/ New Kohler Command 20 HP Cub Cadet #19  
Hey thanks for the input on the leaf blowers...I'm gonna get the highest hand held, gas, cfm husky makes then, from a dealer.

I suppose I can use it to blow the wet leaves out of all our swale holes too. Right now I rake 'em ...an don't mind doing it but the torn rotor cuff in taking it's toll.

...very flat ground here so vigilance is demanded.

Savage: IMHP. You might want to try a friends blower first (torn rotor cuff). The hand held can get a little heavy after a while (plus the vibration). They make some small lightweight back packs that may be better for you. With a back pack all you are holding (with the hands) is the blower tube.

Take Care
Leo