New Kohler Command 20 HP Cub Cadet

/ New Kohler Command 20 HP Cub Cadet #1  

Leo Rabon

Bronze Member
Tractor
Cub Cadet GT 2000
I just purchased a new 2011 GT 2142 Cub Cadet with bagger. $4,200 I have read quite a bit about under hood heat issues with the older CDs and the Kohlers. Does anyone know if CD has corrected this problem? I am sort of a "super maintance" individual and since the temperatures around here are above 90 degrees most of the summer, I am concerned about going 50 hours without an oil change on this air cooled engine that costs $1,600 to replace. I would prefer to change the oil (only) every 5 hours or so until I get a good break-in on the engine and obviously the filter at 20 hours or so. Can anyone tell me what oil (brand and viscosity) Kohler puts in the engines from the factory? Also, I have read about external "oil coolers" that significantly reduce engine oil temperature. Does anyone have any experience with the oil coolers and if so, do you think they are worth the money?

With all of the questions, you may wonder why I purchased the Cub but my extensive research just pointed me to the Cub Cadet as the best buy for what you get. All of the brands have some issues but the Cub still looked like the best.
Thanks
Leo

/ New Kohler Command 20 HP Cub Cadet #2  
Kohler uses there own brand of oil made by quacker state in the 10w30 weight. overheating is not normally a engine problem unless the cooling fins get plugged. most overheating problems on mowers is due to the shielding installed by the mower manufacturer obstucting air flow to the engine.

/ New Kohler Command 20 HP Cub Cadet #3  
Congrats on your new purchase! I had a 1998 Toro/Wheelhorse with a 18hp Kohler Command that ran terribly hot all the time to the point where it melted the plastic coating on the choke and throttle cables and they were routed where they belonged away from the muffler. I always tried to keep the cooling fins clear but it didn't seem to matter. Sometimes I think the hood itself fit too close to the engine and restricted airflow. I never was able to resolve it but other than the cable issues it still ran ok. It did bend 3 of the 4 push rods but I don't know if that had anything to do with the heat. I got the push rods replaced and I put in a whole new fuel system and it ran great so I sold it for a good price.

My new tractor has a Vangaurd engine with an oil cooler which definitely runs cooler. Excessive heat can really mess up a motor so if I were you I would consider getting an oil cooler if they it's not too expensive. Maybe I'm paranoid, others may say they don't do much but if a cooler is cheap it's good piece of mind.

/ New Kohler Command 20 HP Cub Cadet
Carl:
Thank you for your thoughts. I just don't like excessive heat in equipment. It will destroy or severly damage it over time. After paying that much money for the CUB and also entering retirement with less $$$$, I don't want to face an engine replacement due to something I could have avoided. Maybe CD and Kohler have rectified some of these issues on the new models since it appears to have been an ongoing issue for a few years. I certainly hope so. The weather here in SC, 6 miles away from Myrtle Beach is generally HOT, HOT, HOT. 98 Degrees this past Sunday. Most likely, I will get the oil cooler at around $150.00 and install it.

Thank You Again
Leo

/ New Kohler Command 20 HP Cub Cadet #5  
..I had a 1998 Toro/Wheelhorse with a 18hp Kohler Command that ran terribly hot .

I've used my neighbor's mid 1990's super heavy-duty Garden-Way built Troy-Bilt GT with an 18hp Command and it's the same on that machine. The engine runs SCORCHING hot under the hood and has some seal seepage and oil burning due to this (it's only got ~550hrs).

Leo, I also understand your concerns. My metal hooded 2005 model year 2544 ran hot too, but not to the point of melting stuff under the hood.

I personally do not run regular passenger car oils in my small air cooled stuff. I run heavy-duty, diesel or motorcycle oils ONLY. I personally go "out of the box" and run 15w40 or 5w40 if extreme heat is a concern, but at a minimum, I'd run the Kohler branded 10w30. Supposedly it's a 'motorcycle' type oil.

Joel

/ New Kohler Command 20 HP Cub Cadet #6  
I use the Kohler brand oil. Seems to work fine. Never had anyproblems and I am at 540+ hours. I blow the fan and fins off regularly.

Michael

/ New Kohler Command 20 HP Cub Cadet #7  
I use the Kohler brand oil. Seems to work fine.

From what I understand, the Kohler branded engine oil is excellent stuff. Supposedly it's formulated like a heavy-duty/air-cooled/motorcycle engine oil.

Joel

/ New Kohler Command 20 HP Cub Cadet #8  
I usually get the "Tune Up" kit for Kohler Command Engines when I get ready for the season.

Michael

/ New Kohler Command 20 HP Cub Cadet #9  
Does anyone use synthetic oil in the engines? I use it in everything I own and with the new tractor coming tomorrow I plan on running synthetic in it once the break in period is up.

/ New Kohler Command 20 HP Cub Cadet #10  
Does anyone use synthetic oil in the engines? I use it in everything I own and with the new tractor coming tomorrow I plan on running synthetic in it once the break in period is up.

prolly best to chk your ENGINE manual for recommended oil types/viscosity/etc. It should also tell you if syn oil is OK and when (how many hrs of run time) to use.