Kohler V-twin Engine Life in a Cub Cadet

/ Kohler V-twin Engine Life in a Cub Cadet #1  

GTSRider

Gold Member
Tractor
Cub Cadet 3000
My 2003 Cub Cadet 3000 series...which are known for running hot...
now has 410 hr.s on it.
It runs very hot and today started leaking some oil...I think from rear seal,
where fan is. Is this thing at the end of it's life cycle ?
I bought tractor last year and put 100 flawless hrs. on it... this year,
it's been constant trouble !
Are these engines worth rebuilding ?
If so ...I could do it next winter.
Pete
Cub Cadet 3000 series 20hp Command Engine
NY

/ Kohler V-twin Engine Life in a Cub Cadet #2  
I have a CC 1863 with a 18Hp Kohler.. It to runs REAL hot.mine started leaking oil around 400 hours but at the PTO end. It was just a seal, was a quick fix. Took longer to clean up the machine from the leak and grass goo.Then it had a valve seat come loose.I replaced the #1 head.all seems fine now.But I do run it HARD. Don't give up.fixen em is half the fun?????

/ Kohler V-twin Engine Life in a Cub Cadet #3  
Hey Pete where ya at in NY?

/ Kohler V-twin Engine Life in a Cub Cadet
Millbrook...Hudson Valley area.
I'm hoping it is PTO switch ...which I feel has been going for some time now anyway. Will try to pick up one tomorrow.

/ Kohler V-twin Engine Life in a Cub Cadet #5  
I'm not sure what's involved in replacing the front or rear seal on a Command. PTOs are a bear to remove as are flywheels. The engines aren't too difficult to completely remove from a 3000 series.

Most of the 'high mileage' Commands I've been around or operated smell a little oily at the ~500+ hr mark. Usually from seal/gasket seepage.

If you want to hold off on putting time/money into it, I'd lower the oil level a tad and/or switch to a heavy-duty/diesel 15w40 to slow any seepage. It's a better oil anyhoo.

Joel

/ Kohler V-twin Engine Life in a Cub Cadet #6  
My 2003 2518 has 540+ hours and it runs fine... No leaks and haven't added oil since i changed it this spring.

Michael

Congrats.... proof that good maintenance is cheap in the long run.
I picked this Cub Cadet 3000 with 20 hp engine used last year , and it had clearly been neglected...but it oddly gave me no problems last season of 100 hrs. running...this year I can't keep it going !
Now I am suspecting safety switches are at fault....died yesterday, and I am suspecting PTO switch... which has the capability to prevent engine from starting.

/ Kohler V-twin Engine Life in a Cub Cadet #8  
Congrats.... proof that good maintenance is cheap in the long run.
I picked this Cub Cadet 3000 with 20 hp engine used last year , and it had clearly been neglected...but it oddly gave me no problems last season of 100 hrs. running...this year I can't keep it going !
Now I am suspecting safety switches are at fault....died yesterday, and I am suspecting PTO switch... which has the capability to prevent engine from starting.
anybody to your knowledge use a hose or power washer on the machine? if so, look for corrosion probs in elect connections...

Correction.... engine has 510 hr's not 410 as previously posted.
Yes... I have used a hose.... NO power washer though.
Like I said in another post ....found brake switch today.... but a mother of a location to get to. Will tackle that sometime next week.
Still looking for rear pedal safety switch.
Pete

/ Kohler V-twin Engine Life in a Cub Cadet #10  
best to use compressed air/leaf blower to knock debris off tractor/deck/tranny... and then mebbe a damp rag to shine her up as needed. Hosing it down with water is a surefire way to get corrosion started at various connections/devices - mebbe the ones you're chasing now...