Cub Cadet 1812

/ Cub Cadet 1812 #1  

thetooth

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota b7500 , Kubota Bx1850
Just came across a model 1812 . Tractor starts and runs fine but I would like to replace the hydro and engine filters and oil .

Looking for recommendations for the hydro oil I have read that Shell Rotella 15w-40 is acceptable .

Thanks for your help

/ Cub Cadet 1812 #2  
The 1812 is a nice machine Hyd front ports and lift - nice find!

Use the Cub Cadet or IH Hytran available at CC dealers by the gallon or some say its cheaper at IH dealers. It's made for the CC transmissions - you will need 2 gallons.

Also pick up a filter there too, some other filters will work, but some that look the same dont work the same internally so its easier to get the right one since this is not done that often.

I tried the standard Hyd. fluid in my 1811 and result when hot was more squealing from the tranny and thinning out (one of the valves on the top of the tranny leaked too) but when I changed back to Hytran no more problems - I did have to replace the valve tho.

These are very good units if taken care of - post some pics when you have a chance.

Carl

/ Cub Cadet 1812
Thanks for the information . I will search for a cub cadet dealer , I might luck out out Home depot or Tractor supply if not I will have to wait till monday for the dealer to open back up . The deck is a little rough and I don't know yet if all the parts are there to attach the dozer blade , but the tractor runs strong .

Attachments

• DSC_0001.jpg
    DSC_0001.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 904
  • DSC_0002.jpg
    DSC_0002.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 529
  • DSC_0003.jpg
    DSC_0003.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 396
  • DSC_0004.jpg
    DSC_0004.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 1,177
   / Cub Cadet 1812
By the way where is the drain plug for the engine oil it is not shown in the manual . I believe it's in the front of the engine you would have to use a hex key . thanks

/ Cub Cadet 1812 #5  
if you get full engine model/type/serial number info from either decal or stamped info on engine sheet metal - go to the engine's mfgr website - d/l owner/serv manuals - should find detail on oil drain/filter/etc. ....

/ Cub Cadet 1812 #6  
OK,

Thanks for the pics it appears to be in decent condition - a couple of things:

There should be side sheilds on both sides of the engine (under the white side covers) that direct the cooling air over the fins on the head - w/o these it could overheat longer term.

The deck - I would grease the heck out of the spindles (if they turn freely) then do a wire brush/sander on the deck and prime/paint - it will look like new.

Rear axle / hitch plate - its usually attached directly to the AL transaxle and this is known to pull out if pulling towing heavy loads (ask me how I know :) ) So if you go on line and find a hitch plate - there is one here R.F. Houtz & Son, Inc. - Product Display This bolts onto the main frame left and right and is 1/4" thick - it is stout.

This is the best solution for the hitch..

For the engine oil drain, its a 11/16" I think and its up under the frame middle of engine plug on the bottom - you can feel it with your fingers.. I use a deep well socket to loosen.

For the transmission you can either pull the rear plate (if its leaking) and drain and clean it out, or there is a plug in the front bottom of the transaxle on the left side (from the rear) that I usually drain the tranny.

Refilling - its a PIA to get 7 quarts back thru the small fill port, but what I do is a medium sized funnel fits tightly inside that fill port then I wrap tape around the funnel and the metal top and slowly pour it in. Watch out as it likes to "burp" oil as the air escapes.

For paint, TSC has inexpensive white and yellow paint too.

Good luck.

Carl

/ Cub Cadet 1812
Thanks for the tips Carl . I found the drain plug shortly after posting the question :ashamed: . I do have the side panels I powerwashed the motor when I brought it homw last night ( had about 1/2 of gunk on it ) . The mower deck is frozen so I am soaking it in penetrating oil for a bit . Thanks for the help and tips

/ Cub Cadet 1812 #8  
caution on that power washer use - these tractors are not made with a weatherproof elect system and will rust/corrode at connections/switches in a new york minnit..

/ Cub Cadet 1812
caution on that power washer use - these tractors are not made with a weatherproof elect system and will rust/corrode at connections/switches in a new york minnit..

Thanks for the heads up . Tractor turned out good so far , but i will put a little dielectric grease on the connections . I was very cautious with the wand and the pressure . I am in the process now of applying a $10 / 10 foot rattle can paint job to spruce her up a bit just did the engine oil and plugs , hydro will have to wait till i can get the right filter and oil .

/ Cub Cadet 1812 #10  
Sounds great!

I did the same thing to my 1811 2 yrs ago - tho it was more of a touch up after 20 years than a complete respray.

When you get it done look forward to some pics! Heres several of my 1811.

Carl

Attachments

• DCP00920.JPG
    DCP00920.JPG
    247.9 KB · Views: 2,356
  • DCP00922.JPG
    DCP00922.JPG
    234.3 KB · Views: 2,381