Replacement Deck LT1042?

/ Replacement Deck LT1042? #1  

CMRVA

Tractor
Kunota B7800 (2004)
Not a happy Cub Cadet owner. After only 5 years, I need a new mower deck for an LT1042 riding mower. It just didn't hold up to my "country yard" of 4 acres of hilly rough terrain. The lawn tractor part is fine.

Pre- 2006, three different ones are listed, of course the OEM replacement one is not sold by Cub Cadet intack with pulleys and spindles, just the deck body.

My question- will the other two made for that year work on my model? Does anyone know why there were three with three different spindle sizes? Hoping a deale rsponds, none of the ones around here, nor the woman on CC's 800 line know anything about that. Thanks in advance for any answers, and yes I've done the Craigslist and Ebay searches already.

/ Replacement Deck LT1042? #2  
quite frankly - if you can swing the cost - would replace the entire tractor with a stronger machine and more capacity to handle that 4 acre spread of yours.
That's pushing that lt1042 awful hard.

/ Replacement Deck LT1042? #3  
I compared some of the parts list for the three different decks and for the most part it looks like the bolt on parts are the same. The different spindles were improvements in the design. The latest spindle design uses tapered roller bearings instead of ball bearings. Of the three decks only the 983-04171A-0716 looks to be available. You can tell which spindles you have by looking at the bearings.

/ Replacement Deck LT1042?
quite frankly - if you can swing the cost - would replace the entire tractor with a stronger machine and more capacity to handle that 4 acre spread of yours.
That's pushing that lt1042 awful hard.

I am slowly reaching that conclusion! Like those zero turn deals, but didn't think they could pull a full utility cart well and I've seen reviews where they don't do well on steep grades, which I only have one but still...

/ Replacement Deck LT1042?
I compared some of the parts list for the three different decks and for the most part it looks like the bolt on parts are the same. The different spindles were improvements in the design. The latest spindle design uses tapered roller bearings instead of ball bearings. Of the three decks only the 983-04171A-0716 looks to be available. You can tell which spindles you have by looking at the bearings.

Great answer, looks like I could order one and replace it. My neighbor (A mech engineer) has offered to weld my current deck, may try that first to limp along and buy a new, bigger something. I hate to think of having to put another $600-$700 into what is about a $1,500 machine in 5 years. Should have gone bigger and bolder in the first place. Thanks!

/ Replacement Deck LT1042? #6  
I changed the tires to lugs, added the hitch and my Z Force 50 will pull a full cart and does fine on any hill or slope.
DSCF1178.jpg