2544 deck clogs

/ 2544 deck clogs #1  

MESSMAKER

Veteran Member
Tractor
DK4710SE
It is driving me crazy. I fave tried mowing slow, holding up discharge chute and making sure the blades are sharp. It won't mow 3" grass if it is not totally dry. it clogs up in the deck and discharges in clumps, if at all. Anyone have any suggestions? I am afraid it is just a poorly designed deck.

/ 2544 deck clogs #2  
gotta be dry. if yer seeing moisture on front tire treads while cutting , too wet.
cut 1/3 of grass height per pass.
keep engine RPM at full throttle.
make sure blades are high lift type, edges sharp and wings not worn off.
make sure exhaust chute deflector is not sitting down too far.

/ 2544 deck clogs #3  
I've got a 2544 as well and found that the high-lift blades are mandatory as the mulching blades simply can't handle "real grass".

Another thing to look at is the health of the PTO-to-deck belt. If it's even a bit loose, the deck won't spin as fast as it should, which of course decreases cut power & throw. Even then, I still find the need to go slow and bungee the chute.

The current rig is just paid off and I'm seriously thinking about green iron, diesel, and PTO-powered decks.

EDIT: @RCBE: For $3,800 3 years ago I should bloody well expect a mower to reliably turn 6" grass into 2.5" grass in a single pass without worrying about moisture levels or any of the other owner's manual stuff you cited, especially since the cheap-arse Craftsman the 2544 replaced did it easily for 7-8 years until the non-serviceable tranny finally gave out. Not all of us have the time to mow 2 acres every week (the only way to keep the 1/3 cut guideline), especially if it can't be mowed unless bone dry, which is a rare occurrence in these parts.

/ 2544 deck clogs #4  
It's gotta depend on your specific type of grass and/or conditions. I'd literally have to go through swampy 12" of 'grass' to get my 2544 to clog.

For the most part though, my 'grass' is closely-cropped weeds. Full-n-green is all that matters to me!

Joel

/ 2544 deck clogs
I guess hi-lift blades are the next step. What brand is best? 6" grass will stop mine dead, even when dry. As it stands it is the least powerfull mower of my last 3, even though it has the smallest deck and more power.

/ 2544 deck clogs #6  
I have been "bagging" my grass for 20 years. WET will not work, it has to be dry.

/ 2544 deck clogs #7  
I've got a 2544 as well and found that the high-lift blades are mandatory as the mulching blades simply can't handle "real grass".

Another thing to look at is the health of the PTO-to-deck belt. If it's even a bit loose, the deck won't spin as fast as it should, which of course decreases cut power & throw. Even then, I still find the need to go slow and bungee the chute.

The current rig is just paid off and I'm seriously thinking about green iron, diesel, and PTO-powered decks.

EDIT: @RCBE: For $3,800 3 years ago I should bloody well expect a mower to reliably turn 6" grass into 2.5" grass in a single pass without worrying about moisture levels or any of the other owner's manual stuff you cited, especially since the cheap-arse Craftsman the 2544 replaced did it easily for 7-8 years until the non-serviceable tranny finally gave out. Not all of us have the time to mow 2 acres every week (the only way to keep the 1/3 cut guideline), especially if it can't be mowed unless bone dry, which is a rare occurrence in these parts.
Let us know what you find - should be interesting.

/ 2544 deck clogs #8  
I think the biggest problem with the 44iinch deck is the discharge opening is to small. The clippings seem to catch then come out in a clump. For me its more of a problem in the spring when the grass is growing like mad. Also works better when the grass is dry. I keep my deck cleaned out also. Gets alot of build up in the center blade area and the front of the deck.

I have the Cub Cadet High lift blades. They work very well. I mow at the #3 setting anything lower clogging is more of a problem.

Michael

/ 2544 deck clogs
I have been "bagging" my grass for 20 years. WET will not work, it has to be dry.

I understand that, but when I have A Craftsman and a John Deere next door plus a 2542 across the street plowing right through and me only barely getting by, something is wrong. It is the same grass, and the about the same moisture level. I believe I am going to enlarge my discharge chute and see if that does not fix the problem.

/ 2544 deck clogs #10  
if I didn't have crab grass in the back where the dogs play, I wouldn't have any grass. If I go more than 5-6 days I get clogged at level 3 on my cub cadet even if its dry. I just finished up 2 hours ago and had to stop twice to empty the shoot. p.i.t.a.