Cub Cadet AGS 2130 Transmission Oil / Fluid

/ Cub Cadet AGS 2130 Transmission Oil / Fluid #1  

Dave54

Tractor
Cub Cadet AGS 2130
Hi. New member here from Cornwall UK.
Anyone know what a suitable oil or fluid is to replace the transmission oil / fluid in a CC AGS-2130. Handbook lists it as 737-3055. I believe that to have been superceded by 737-3120. Am I right in thinking that a good quality 10W-40 engine oil will do the job. Official Cub spares are quite hard to get over here in the UK, and very expensive! Think calling the $$ price UK Pounds and then adding 20% for our VAT!
Thanks in advance
Dave

/ Cub Cadet AGS 2130 Transmission Oil / Fluid #3  
Search the net for the pump manufactuer used in your Cub Cadet, I made a post a few years back on my Cub and discovered the OEM specifed a oil type readily available at our Tractor Supply at cost substanially lower than the marked up oil Cub will try to tell you to use.

Been using the non Cub oil for about 5 years now, no problems.

Here is the old link I posted:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...74483-cub-cadet-7000-series-transmission.html

/ Cub Cadet AGS 2130 Transmission Oil / Fluid #4  
Cub Cadet Drive System Fluid Plus 737-3120 is Shell TTF-SB transmission fluid. TTF-SB means tractor transmission fluid-synthetic blend. If you can find universal tractor fluid(UTF) it will work. The main difference between UTF and motor oil is that UTF has zinc anti-wear additives.

Fluid.jpg

/ Cub Cadet AGS 2130 Transmission Oil / Fluid #5  
Am I right in thinking that a good quality 10W-40 engine oil will do the job.
Dave

That would be fine, as would any heavy-duty and/or diesel 15w40 engine oil. Motor oil is what you want. Not gear or hydraulic oil, although hydraulic oil probably wouldn't harm anything aside from being on the 'thin' side. You're typical hydraulic/transmission oil is comparable to a 20wt motor oil.

Joel

/ Cub Cadet AGS 2130 Transmission Oil / Fluid
Thanks for the replies guys. I had searched on the web before but had found conflicting answers. This forum looked like a good bet and I was right! This CC of mine has the AGS system ("Advanced Gear System" I think) Basically a fairly normal sort of manual stick shift 6 speed gearbox in the transaxle, and a pedal operated conventional friction clutch. No hydraulic pump or filter.
I'd sort of guessed that the transmission fluid the big boys use might be OK. I've never had anything to do with that though. The stuff in there looks like 10W-40. (yeah I know not very scientific!) rather than the industrial type hydraulic oil I'd seen, which as one of you said is about like 20 grade. Just as an aside we don't see much single grade oil here these days. You can get it, but it's "special order"
Interestingly the manual doesn't say anything about changing the tranny oil, only the filter in the hydrostatic drive type. The oil that's in there is sweet, clean and "oily" even when it's been working. Anyone know if you are actually supposed to change it?
Anyway once again thanks for the helpful replies. :)

/ Cub Cadet AGS 2130 Transmission Oil / Fluid #7  
I believe AGS = Auto Gear System. Like you say, kind of an unusual system, but given it's design, is heavy-duty. An oil change on it certainly wouldn't hurt once or twice in it's lifetime.

The only problem I've ever read of with the AGS is premature clutch wear when owners try to regulate ground speed by gently letting off the 'go-pedal' like you would a hydrostatic. You DON'T want to do that. Full on, full off only and regulate ground speed by changing gears.

I've seen used AGS's for sale where the owners swear they're hydrostatic. That can't all be smart as us I say! LOL.

Joel

/ Cub Cadet AGS 2130 Transmission Oil / Fluid
Ah "Auto Gear System" I knew it was something like that. The heavy duty design is what sold it to me. When I saw the size of the transaxle compared to the other machines there, and the fact that the steering had proper joints instead of the "hole, bent rod and split pin" system it was a no brainer. (Which was pretty lucky in my case :confused2:)
Thanks for the reminder about not slipping the clutch. The guy who sold it us said about that. The missus uses it more than I do, and she knows not to ride the clutch. I might have mentioned it a time or two to her! When you're doing the fiddly bits it's very tempting to just let it slip a bit though. The hydro system is better I imagine. I thought an oil change might not hurt it. I still don't really trust this idea of never changing the gearbox oil on cars. Although I can't remember the last car I had where you were supposed to change it!