Dusty Headlights

/ Dusty Headlights #1  

mowcub

Tractor
Cub Cadet GT2550
My GT2550 has a problem that I think is common on many of the newer Cubs with the one piece headlight lens. The lens allows dirt and dust to accumulate inside and looks terrible. The lens is held in place by tabs that snap into the hood.It is very difficult to remove and the tabs will probably break after a few times.

So, I came up with a solution. I removed the lens. I ground off the barbs on the tabs so they are now just locating tabs. I then drilled a hole in the corner of the lens for a trim screw. I drilled a smaller hole in the hood for the trim screw to thread into. Now I can easily remove the lens occasionally and clean out the dust. The screw doesn't look too out of place. I don't understand why the factory could not have done something similar if there's not a way to stop the dust from getting inside.

DSC_0166.jpg

/ Dusty Headlights #2  
I did the same on my 3000 series.... but only because tabs broke , and a new lense was out of the question.
But I thought the same as you.... another poor design to add to the list.

/ Dusty Headlights #3  
My 1550 has the same lens, awful design. Dumb, ugly, expensive to replace.
:mad:

/ Dusty Headlights #4  
My 2185 has a 2-piece assy and they got very clogged with dirt and grass!
So, I sealed the lens and reflector parts together and filled up all the holes! Worked great!
(until my unshielded exhaust melted the left socket! bummer)

/ Dusty Headlights
(until my unshielded exhaust melted the left socket! bummer)

My dealer also warned me not to seal them off because the heat from the bulb could also melt spots on the lens. So far, I am on my second year with this mod and it still works well. I clean the lens 2-3 times per mowing season.

/ Dusty Headlights #6  
My John Deere 455 does the same thing. I just remove the bulbs and use my air compressor to blown the dust back out whenever it starts looking to ugly. I always use the air hose to blow all the grass and dust off of my tractor after every mowing session. And if I,m feeling extra nice, I give it a quik wax job.
It still looks as good as it runs. :thumbsup:

/ Dusty Headlights #7  
Stupid design. It would have been a cheaper more elegant design to just put some glass fog lamps in like the old IH CC 782s....

/ Dusty Headlights #8  
The lens fell out of my 3235 and I mowed over it. I bought a new one on eBay. When the tabs broke on that one also I drilled and installed 4 sheet metal screws. It has worked well.

Bob B.