Cub 1250 repower

/ Cub 1250 repower #1  

The Cub

Tractor
Cub cadet 1250
What engine can I repower my cub 1250 with? I would like to put a diesel in it but a gas will also do .

/ Cub 1250 repower #2  
I hope you have a friend that operates a machine shop. Installing something other than the original engine will be a task. The PTO shaft, size and length has to be the same on the replacement engine. The drive shaft connector adapter will in all likeihood have to be fabricated also. The engine mounting to the frame will also be tricky.

With all that said If I was considering I would look for a Kohler or Honda in the 16-18 horsepower range. More than that and the Hydro will probably give up the ghost. You may be able to squeeze the hood shut with a 16-18 horse engine. The cost would probably be 12-18 hundred dollars just for the engine. The machine shop fees and other costs would probably put in in the $2,200 - $2,500 dollar bracket. A lot of money invested in a 1250.

Last edited:
   / Cub 1250 repower #3  
I hope you have a friend that operates a machine shop. Installing something other than the original engine will be a task. The PTO shaft, size and length has to be the same on the replacement engine. The drive shaft connector adapter will in all likeihood have to fabricated. The engine mounting to the frame will also be tricky.

With all that said If I was considering I would look for a Kohler or Honda in the 16-18 horsepower range. More than that and the Hydro will probably give up the ghost. You may be able to squeeze the hood shut with a 16-18 horse engine. The cost would probably be 12-18 hundred dollars just for the engine. The machine shop fees and other costs would probably put in in the $2,200 - $2,500 dollar bracket. A lot of money invested in a 1250.

The hydro is the same as they use in the 20+ hp machines(982) and is plenty strong. the axles on the other hand not quite so much. I have used(abused?) an early model 982 that was loaded down with ag tires and the hydro is still going strong. The early model got upgraded to a late model rearend (Stronger) and still can't kill the hydro. I have also seen a 982 re-powered with a 25 hp Kohler V-Twin OHV engine and still doing fine.