Cub Cadet 782 (1811) starter disengaging

/ Cub Cadet 782 (1811) starter disengaging #1  

boatiee

Tractor
Cub Cadet 1811(782)
Anyone out there have any expierence with the starter disengaging early in cold weather. The owner's manual for the Kohler M-18 even predicts this........

/ Cub Cadet 782 (1811) starter disengaging #2  
my 1451 does the same thing (m-18). it seems to work ok after a few tries. as far as i know, there isn't anything that can be done about it. maybe i'm wrong. never seems to be a big issue with me.

/ Cub Cadet 782 (1811) starter disengaging
I thought maybe buying a replacement starter would solve the problem.....

/ Cub Cadet 782 (1811) starter disengaging #4  
my 1811 will turn over then wine....it does it often even with a good battery......but it always starts after a couple tries.

/ Cub Cadet 782 (1811) starter disengaging #5  
just wondering if a lighter viscocity oil will help the situation.

/ Cub Cadet 782 (1811) starter disengaging
I use 5w 20 and it does help the problem some, but doesn't cure it....... thanks for the feedback, chris

/ Cub Cadet 782 (1811) starter disengaging #7  
Chris,

I've owned 4 Cubs with the M-18 and they all shared that issue, to some extent.
I had the starter rebuilt on a 1862 and never had that symptom reoccur.

I currently have an 1872 that will sometime just not kick the gear into the flywheel without repeated attempts. I started leaving a battery tender on it to assure the battery is always topped off, that seems to help.

I believe you can loosen the motor mounts on a 1872 and remove the started without needed to pull the engine.

Good Luck,
Curt

/ Cub Cadet 782 (1811) starter disengaging #8  
I have had the same issue on many cubs that I have had through out the years. Take the time to clean all your contact points in your wiring harnes. Male sure the positive on the battery is clean, the contact points on the back of the key switch, and on the starter. Often times they are corroded and that will rob all of your power, even the wires themselves will corrode inside the casing so make sure everything appears to be in good shape. Continue to maintain these things as a part of your usual maintenance routine and your issues will be solved. Make sure you reply and let us know if it worked.

/ Cub Cadet 782 (1811) starter disengaging #9  
I have an answer that WORKED FOR ME! I have an 1811 that the starter was disengaging when cold and working fairly well in warm weather. First I took the starter out, relubed the clutch drive and it worked a bit better, but not great. FINALLY, I simply purchased a replacement starter from dbelectrical for $50.....brand new. They're currently $60, brand new and that includes shipping. Here's the internet address that will take you to them: NEW STARTER CUB CADET TRACTOR 1806 1810 1811 1812 18HP | eBay. Simply copy this into your web browser and it will take you there. Arrives timely and has worked for the entire mowing season and now into winter...with no glitches. Good Luck.
DOK