GT 2550 mowing deck

/ GT 2550 mowing deck #1  

tracter

Silver Member
Tractor
Cub Cadet Gt2550
Recently purchased a GT 2550 and have a query about the cutting height settings.
To get the deck to its lowest I have to remove all the gauge wheels however the hangers to which they are attached are touching the ground.
Consequently when you mow and turn they plough into the ground.
The obvious fix is to take/cut about 1/2 inch of the bottom of the hanger.
Did Cub in the USA do anything to rectify this situation
My mower is under warranty out here.
Thanks for any help given
Regards
Tracter

/ GT 2550 mowing deck #2  
Hi tracter, I wanted a very close 'fairway' cut with my 50" deck and had to severely mod it.

Here's what I did when it was brand new. Removed the deck gauge wheels and cut off the gauge wheels hangers off the deck. Fashioned a crude but effective 'bail' to flip over the locking deck adj lever...that allows the deck to float up and down, but mostly stay where you put it.

Lets see....then I reduced the tension on the 2 springs that so the deck would drop to the desired height.

Now that should be enough for the average joe but if it's still not there. Add a few spacing washers between your blade and spindle. I did that and I'm very pleased with my closely cropped 'fairway' cut.

Oh I almost forgot, I took some 'great stuff' expandable foam and filled in the 4 holes in each spindle ...this has given me maximum thrust for grass discharge.

All the mods and ideas have been discussed with other posters input/experience/problem solving solutions, including pics either on here or the other forum, just do a search and good luck.

/ GT 2550 mowing deck
Thanks for the info , what I was contemplating is to shave about 1/2 inch of the bottom of the hangers and then drill an additional mounting hole to allow the gauge wheels to be mounted so they are approx 1/4 inch below the rim of the cutting deck.
That way I think it will allow the deck to cut and not have anything plough the ground
I have only Oz bush grass cut it too close and it will turn up its toes.
Regards

/ GT 2550 mowing deck
Problem solved , made a template of the existing holes and moved it one hole upward that gave me an accurate spot to drill an additional mounting hole for the front gauge wheels.
Works a treat no more ploughing with the hangers