RZT 54 vs. Z Force 48

/ RZT 54 vs. Z Force 48 #1  

strikeout

Tractor
46 Craftsman Riding Mower
I am a newbie to zero turn mowers, but must upgrade a worn out Craftsman riding mower. Plus I am looking to cut down on the amount of time I spend mowing my yard. I have been reading through the forums here and doing much research on the internet. The hydro-gear comments have me worried, but I am ready to finally make the commitment to a zero turn.

I had my mind made up on a RZT 54 from my local dealer for $3200, but the dealer thinks I need to move up to the Z Force 48 for $4100. Their reasoning was the RZT is not really good for my size yard. I mow about 3-4 acres once a week and it is all pretty smooth. The dealer highlighted the longer warranty on the Z Force and it is heavy dutier build. I was more interested in the Kawasaki engine (RZT 54) over the Kohler (Z Force) and of course the larger cut. The RZT 54 has a dual hydro gear ZT 2800 with oil reservoir and the Z Force has the ZT 2800 with oil reservoir and filter( does the filter make a huge difference from these two?)

As a first time Cub Cadet buyer, which would some of you recommend. I understand everybody will have a different opinion, but I am trying to find out if this is just a dealer trying to upsell me to the next level, or genuine in their suggestion. Thanks and I will enjoy reading your suggestions.

/ RZT 54 vs. Z Force 48 #2  
All Hydrogear ZT-2800's have oil filters on them, regardless if they're on the Z-Force or RZT.

If your terrain is pretty smooth, I'd save the money and go with the RZT 54.

The main thing is they've both got great, serviceable transaxles.

The chassis might be a bit stronger on the Z-Force, but as long as you don't let the 54" deck on the RZT drag/ride on the ground, you'll be good to go.

Joel

/ RZT 54 vs. Z Force 48 #3  
strikeout,

First, I hope your signature doesn't foretell of your luck with your purchase!

Secondly, I agree with you on the Kawasaki engine vs the Kholer. My preference would be for the Kaw, as my almost 25 year old JD 175 Hydro has a 14 HP Kaw, and is still going as strong as the day I bought it.

That said, a new Kholer that you take care of should be able to last as long as the Kaw.

As far as the mower goes, I would go with the Z Force, (I have a used 48 that I've had for 2 years now) and it has really changed my mowing experience. Its built for the large acreage that you have to mow, and should outlast the lighter built unit by quite a bit. Personally I can't comment on the filters on the drive units, as my rig is not so equipped. Good Luck, whichever way you choose to go!

/ RZT 54 vs. Z Force 48
Thanks for the great input from both posters. Its good to hear from actual users of the mowers to see how they like them. I drove the 48 but have not had the chance to try out the 54, they were out but had one ordered. I am still trying to make a final decision but I will probably decide and purchase within the next week or so. I appreciate the information and would love any other input from other users.

/ RZT 54 vs. Z Force 48 #5  
strikeout,

When I first got the Z Force 48 (it was used) it had been repowered with a B&S 26 HP twin, but originally came with a B&G 22 HP twin. It would continually toss the PTO to deck belt after 10 to 15 minutes mowing, and was chewing up the edges of the belt.

I checked the belt tensioner, tensioner assembly lubrication, pulley alignment, etc. and couldn't track down the culprit. What I did to solve the problem was to mount two bolts, one on the tensioner arm and the other on the deck, such that they were close enough to the respective pulleys to prevent the belt being tossed. This has worked perfectly for the last two seasons without any hint of belt wear. If you find you develop the belt toss issue, let me know and I can provide pictures and descriptions of my fix.

Good Luck with your new acquisition!

/ RZT 54 vs. Z Force 48 #6  
Hi strikeout I have the Z-Force 48 and i love it i looked at both mowers also and chose the z- force far better mower in my mind also i thought i needed the bigger 54 inch cutting boy was i wrong i aslo mow about 3 plus acres but the zero turns are so fast you don't need that big deck. It is so much easyer getting around things with the 48. Good luck on your choice don't think you can really go wrong one cost alittle more but when you compare apples to apples it is built alot better in my oppion and makes it worth it,