Cub Cadet 782 Repower

/ Cub Cadet 782 Repower #1  

Sbradic

Tractor
Cub Cadet 682
I sort of inherited a Cub Cadet 782 with a Kohler KT 17 Series 1. My family acquired it back in 1980. It did not see hard use as we only used it for mowing lawn. As most of you probably know from this forum, the KT 17 Series 1 had an oiling problem and tended to throw rods. This one was not an exception and has no compression on one side. Funny thing, it still runs on the one cylinder. Anyway, this was Dad's tractor, and inspired by Fordlords and the other members of this forum, I decided to go for a restore and repower project. Beyond the motor, the tractor itself is in great shape. I will post pics here soon as I document the project. Today, I took the plunge and bought the repower kit from Small Engine Warehouse. They no longer sell the Honda kit, so what I purchased was the 18 HP Briggs & Stratton Vangard kit. Am I crazy to be putting an engine that cost as much as one for my car in a 30 year old tractor? Onward I go, Next Step- cleaning the beast up and pulling the old motor.

/ Cub Cadet 782 Repower #2  
....Am I crazy to be putting an engine that cost as much as one for my car in a 30 year old tractor?

Oh absolutely you are.

Right along with all of us that love this stuff!

Think of it this way; What you've got into it now is cheap compared to lots of hobbies!

Joel

/ Cub Cadet 782 Repower #3  
Yes defintley loony to put all that into a such a machine. Ha - When my magnum 18 goes south in a few years I will likely do the same.

You wont regret it and have fun! heres a pic of my 1811 which is the off color cousin to your 782.

Attachments

• DCP00921.JPG
    DCP00921.JPG
    242.4 KB · Views: 3,500
   / Cub Cadet 782 Repower #4  
Still less $$ than buying a big box throw away mower and you will have a real tractor. I just put new Kohler CH22's from SEW in two Super's. One is a 2284 the other was an 1882. They run just as nice as a new one now. Now I just have to find them good homes. I put a Vanguard in my 1210 last year.:D