Cub RZT 50 Pto issues

/ Cub RZT 50 Pto issues #1  

wat5150

Tractor
cub cadet rzt 50
I have cub rzt 50. 4 years old. When I go into reverse it takes a minute for the pto to engage. Sometimes several minutes. I notice this more often under heavy usage. Is there any way to bypass the super annoying shut off in reverse. Its a real pain and it seems like it is harsh on the equipment to keep starting and stopping the pto all the time. Thank you

/ Cub RZT 50 Pto issues #2  
Maybe the clutch needs adjusted. When they kick in and out they wear the contact plates, Then when warm it takes more amps to keep it engaged. there should be three slots around the perimeter that you can slide a feeler gauge into, to check the gap. Gap should be .012 all the way around. Adjust the three nuts to set the gap.

The reverse system on z-turns is a little more complicated than on normal riders because of the two switches, one on each direction lever, and are wired in series.

/ Cub RZT 50 Pto issues #3  
wat5150,

I have a ZForce 48 that the previous owner disabled the reverse PTO lockout on. I agree with you, that turning the PTO off each time you reverse is too hard on the machinery, not to mention a pain because you can't cut that patch of grass behind you. Sure, its a safety issue, but a painful one to put up with.

I've had various things disassembled on my unit for cleaning/adjustment/repairs and would assume that your unit would be similar. With the side panels removed that hold the relays/switches/gauges/throttle/etc., I found that there are push button switches that are activated (pushed in) when the levers are pulled into the reverse position. There is one behind each lever. In my case, the previous owner simply pulled the wiring connector from each switch and taped their ends.

Yours may be similar. If when you pull the connectors, nothing changes, then you may have to run a short jumper wire from one pin on the connector to the other one. It all depends on how your switches are used in the tractor's wiring.

If this works for you, great! If not, then you'll need someone who has more knowledge than I do. Good Luck!

/ Cub RZT 50 Pto issues
Thanks for the responses. I will poke around and check the clutch. I mow a fair amount of lawns with this mower and the reverse feature is just lame. Belts and such take a beating this way. Just bad design I think.

/ Cub RZT 50 Pto issues #5  
wat5150 said:
Thanks for the responses. I will poke around and check the clutch. I mow a fair amount of lawns with this mower and the reverse feature is just lame. Belts and such take a beating this way. Just bad design I think.

Designed due to lawyers.

/ Cub RZT 50 Pto issues
I understand the legal and safety measures. But then again there are quite a few out there that mow in reverse. Guess I should have purchased one of them!!!

/ Cub RZT 50 Pto issues #7  
Wat, it's a REAL easy adjustment to be able to mow in reverse. It was the first thing I did for my Z-Force.

I shutter every time a neighbor of mine yanks the sticks back on his older Z-Force. I can't believe that PTO hasn't grenaded yet with the amount of times it's cycled per mow.

Joel

/ Cub RZT 50 Pto issues
ok Joel so what is the adjustment? Ive tried unplugging both of the wire plugs directly beneath the control arms and no dice. Someone even suggested stuffing tin foil in the female end of the plug so the posts touch. Tried all that and pto wont engage at all that way.

/ Cub RZT 50 Pto issues #9  
wat5150,
Go to a Cub Cadet site (Messicks .com, for instance, and link on Cub cadet parts), and enter your model number. From there you'll be able to search through PDF files for the wiring diagrams. Download and print off a copy ( as well as the service manuals, while you're at it) and take them to someone who can read them and tell you what you need to do to kill the reverse PTO lockout.

Good Luck!