having transmission problem with my Cub Cadet 2186

/ having transmission problem with my Cub Cadet 2186 #1  

whitek2

Tractor
Cub Cadet Model 2186
Hi all- looking for some help or ideas.

My Cub Cadet 2186 runs fine for the first 5 minutes or so. After that the hydraulic transmission looses power to the point it will barely move. The fluid is about 2 years old as is the filter. The oil level is fine although when I check it after running a while it is very bubbly (normal??)

Any suggestions? Help- the grass is getting long.

Thanks!

/ having transmission problem with my Cub Cadet 2186 #2  
There's a section of metal tubing on the transaxle that runs from the hydrostatic drive to the differential housing. Make sure the fittings on either end of the tubing are tight (leak free). I believe I've read of issues a time or two, where these fittings got loose and allowed air into the system and problems like you describe.

Once things warm up and expand/move around may explain why this happens once the machine is warm.

Joel

/ having transmission problem with my Cub Cadet 2186 #3  
Hi all- looking for some help or ideas.

My Cub Cadet 2186 runs fine for the first 5 minutes or so. After that the hydraulic transmission looses power to the point it will barely move. The fluid is about 2 years old as is the filter. The oil level is fine although when I check it after running a while it is very bubbly (normal??)

Any suggestions? Help- the grass is getting long.

Thanks!

not normal.
Also make sure you have a factory OEM filter in that tranny - some aftermarket el cheapos can cause the pump to cavitate when warm, sucking in air to fluid as you describe. In any manner, would immediately change out hydro fluid/filter and then chk to see if prob still exists.

/ having transmission problem with my Cub Cadet 2186
Thanks all for the good advice. I checked the tubing but in my case that was fine.

I replaced the oil and filter as I did 2 years ago and the problem is solved. I think what is happening is that the oil dipstick fits very loosely on the transmission housing. Dirt and grass accumulate in and around the area and clearly work there way into the oil. The oil was full (all 6 qts!!) but extremely dirty despite being changed 2 seasons ago (residential use).

I think the oil filter is getting plugged up and causing the pump to cavitate.

The dip stick design is poor. I have to buy a replacement and/or come up with a better design myself.

On a separate note- this time I used Rotella-T 15W40 oil as was suggested by others in the forum. So far, so good.

Thanks guys for your input.

/ having transmission problem with my Cub Cadet 2186 #5  
Good deal!

Yes, the dipstick design- especially on the cast aluminum cased transaxles have been a known issue. Filter or not, (obviously) it's critical not to get dirt in there. Usually your tell-tale is oil seepage out of the dipstick area.

Joel

/ having transmission problem with my Cub Cadet 2186 #6  
The oil was full (all 6 qts!!) but extremely dirty despite being changed 2 seasons ago (residential use).

While excessive heat is the worst enemy, contaminated oil is a close 2nd in killing hydros. Strongly suggest you spend the xtra money and change out the oil AND OEM hydro filter again after no more that 5 hrs in the oil you have in there now. And drain it while the tranny oil is warm to get rid of as much of the suspended particulates as possible...