Cub Cadet 1641

/ Cub Cadet 1641 #1  

corndodger

Tractor
Cub Cadet
Help!

My 1641 decided to quit running while it was working yesterday. There's no spark that I can see one with the old screwdriver trick, and nothing happens when I give it a shot of starter fluid while cranking.

All other electricals are normal, lights, instrument panel, etc. It cranks over freely, as always.

If I read the wiring schematic correctly, the magneto cutoff wiring is on the yellow wires via a connector on the back right side of the engine. I have disconnected these and still no start.

I would appreciate any and all suggestions. I'm located near Manchester, NH.

With thanks, in advance!

/ Cub Cadet 1641 #2  
Corn,

Dont have your model but thats the B&S 16 HP I beleive and the ignition coils could be bad or maybe a seat or other switch is causing the issue.

Here is a service manual for a range of CC garden tractors by S/N.

Carl

/ Cub Cadet 1641 #3  
might also chk for sheared flywheel key - make sure flywheel is rre-torqued using torque wrench.

/ Cub Cadet 1641
Thanks for the service manuals, Carl. The tractor was just sitting there idling, then quit running. I can think of nothing I'd rather do than to try to pull the flywheel and change out the coils. I've had it apart before and it isn't a "one nighter" when I'm doing it.

Is there any diagnostic for coils? I've never heard of one, but who knows, maybe there is one. Better yet, what's a good source for them?

The engine is a 16 hp 2-cyl Briggs, Model 303447(!). The 1641 has two numbers on an otherwise illegible plate: 14A-653-100 and 893893.

/ Cub Cadet 1641 #5  
any possibility of wire damage from a nesting mouse under the engine cowling sheet metal?

/ Cub Cadet 1641
I suppose there is a possibility of mouse damage. The tractor is kept in the garage, though, and we've seen no evidence of mice there. I'm still hoping for some way the problem can be diagnosed without pulling the engine first. (Shudder)

/ Cub Cadet 1641 #7  
I suppose there is a possibility of mouse damage. The tractor is kept in the garage, though, and we've seen no evidence of mice there. I'm still hoping for some way the problem can be diagnosed without pulling the engine first. (Shudder)

Should be able to pull the upper sheet metal off the engine at least around the cylinder(s) and flywheel w/o pulling engine out of tractor..?

/ Cub Cadet 1641
The engine flywheel end is buried and tied to the hydraulic transmission pump. I have had the hydraulics out and apart, and getting it back in place was not a picnic I wanted to repeat! There's a universal bolted right on the engine and when it is unbolted, the thing can fall apart on you...then you have to start all over.

The other end of the engine, facing forward, has the power takeoff pulley on it, so that's easy to get at, but alas, the magnetos are over there underneath the battery, wiring, instrument panel, etc. I think they assembled this tractor by suspending the drive shaft by string, then building the tractor around it. It is very mechanic and user unfriendly, in my opinion.

I'm going out to spend some quality time with the thing in a few minutes. I may take my elephant gun with me, just to make sure its dead.